Contact
 
 
County
San Jacinto
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 853
2000 Census - 691
Nearby
Towns
Coldspring, Texas
null
Coldspring Texas History:
The Coonskin post office was established in 1847. It was renamed Fireman’s Hill in 1948, and finally changed to Cold Spring in 1850. The name was respelled Coldspring in 1894. In 1870, Coldspring became the county seat of the newly formed San Jacinto County. Through the early 1900s, agriculture, lumbering and county government formed the backbone of the town’s economy. In 1915, the town moved to higher ground, leaving behind the old courthouse and jail. The Coldspring oil field was discovered in 1945. The 1969 impoundment of Lake Livingston a short distance north of town aided Polk County’s growth. Coldspring incorporated that same year. 85% of the surrounding land belongs to the Sam Houston National Forest. There are more than 3 dozen historical markers located in the Coldspring area. Coldspring is located in the Sam Houston National Forest at the intersection of SH 150, SH 156, FM 1514 and FM 2025, just west of Lake Livingston, 35 miles southeast of Huntsville, 14 miles southeast of Point Blank, 23 miles south of Onalaska, 18 miles southwest of Livingston, 11 miles northwest of Shepherd, 18.8 miles northwest of Cleveland, 64 miles northeast of Houston, 40 miles northeast of Conroe, 31 miles northeast of Willis, and 23 miles northeast of New Waverly, Texas. 
 
Historic J.M. Hansbro Law Office, 1870, on the Courthouse Square:
This was the first structure moved to the new townsite after the 1915 fire in Old Coldspring. The San Jacinto County Abstract Company was housed in the building for many years. The county’s first telephone was installed here. The building is located on the courthouse square on SH 150.
 
San Jacinto County Courthouse, 1917:
The town moved to its current location in 1915. The 1877 courthouse burned down after the move. The 1877 jail is still located in Old Coldspring. The current brick courthouse was designed in classical revival style. Most of the buildings on the courthouse square were built between 1916 and 1923. The 2010 San Jacinto County census was 26,384. (936) 653-4331. The courthouse is located at 1 SH 150. Photos  
 
Historic Old Town Coldspring & Museum Complex:
Old Town is located on the original Coldspring townsite. The square located across from the 1887 San Jacinto County jail was the site of the former San Jacinto County courthouse that burned down in 1915. The 1921 two room New Waverly schoolhouse was built of fine pine lumber hauled from Fostoria. It housed grades 1 through 7. It also served as a grange hall, assembly hall, tax office, place for dances and box suppers, quilting bees and for whatever needs the community had. It was donated to the Heritage Society by Mr. Harold French, and moved to Old Town Coldspring in 1983. It currently houses a gift and collector’s mall for vendors. The corn crib was moved from the Ellisor Farm to Coldspring in the 1980s and reassembled piece by piece. A gasoline powered grist mill is housed under the roof. The Historical Society is searching for someone to restore this building. The 1927 Camilla Texas Post Office now houses a postal museum. The Old Jackson store from the Magnolia community was moved to Old Town in the 1980s. The building had deteriorated to the point where it couldn’t be restored so a replica was built in 1991. The Urbana, Texas train depot was moved from Urbana to Shepherd in the 1950s for use as a weigh station for pulpwood, and as a watering stop for the Houston East & West Texas Railway. The San Jacinto Heritage Society purchased the building in 1996 and moved it to the museum complex in Old Town. It now serves as a railway museum. The Old Jail Museum exhibits depict the life of early settlers, and include farm tools, forest implements, household articles, historic photos and documents, and more. The jail features a never used hangman’s trap door.Old town is open Thursday through Saturday, 10am-4pm. Admission is free. (936) 653-2009. From Shepherd take FM 150 west approximately nine miles to Coldspring. Go left at the flashing red light and follow the “Heritage Days” signs to the museum complex.  Email
 
Coldspring Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, book tapes and movies, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue, 10am-7pm; Wed-Fri, 10am-5pm; Sat, 10am-1pm. (936) 653-3104. 14221 SH 150 West, Coldspring.