Contact
 
 
County
Brazoria
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 3,019
2000 Census - 2,787
Nearby
Towns
Brazoria, Texas
null
Brazoria Texas History: 
In 1828, John Austin platted the town on land granted by Stephen F. Austin. In 1834 or 1835 six Masons met under what is now known as the "Masonic Oak,” to organize the first Masonic lodge in Texas. Dr. Anson Jones became the first Grand Master. Anson Jones eventually became the third President of the Republic of Texas; he retired to Barrington Farm at Washington-on-the-Brazos. The Brazoria post office was established in 1846. By 1884 Brazoria had several cotton gins and grist and sugar mills, 12 general stores, three hotels, churches, schools and 800 residents. When the railroad bypassed Brazoria in favor of Angleton, Brazoria began to decline. Brazoria was the Brazoria County seat from 1890 until 1897 when Angleton became county seat. The town was revitalized in 1939 when oil and a sulfur field were discovered and a traffic bridge was built over the Brazos River. Brazoria is located on the Brazos River at the intersection of SH 36 (Brooks Street) and FM 521, 13 miles southwest of Angleton, 10 miles slightly northwest of Lake Jackson, 9 miles southeast of West Columbia, and 15 miles northwest of Freeport, Texas. 
 
Town of Bailey's Prairie Texas History:
In 1818, 1812 war veteran James Briton Bailey and his family settled in the area on a 4,587 acre Spanish land grant. Stephen F. Austin disputed his claim, but ultimately recognized his claim; Bailey took new title to the land in 1824, thereby becoming one of the Old Three Hundred. Bailey was tall, fearless, courageous, and of Irish stock; he was known for his integrity, and eccentric behavior. At his request he was buried standing up, facing west, his gun at his side so no one could look down on him, even in death. His restless ghost is said to walk this prairie.” The town grew up around Bailey’s plantation and the league of land granted by the Mexican government to M.S. Munson. Early settlers established large sugar plantations; some also ran cattle. In 1839 the Rev. Jesse Hord established a Methodist Church. By 1936 the community had a church, cemetery, scattered dwellings, and the nearby Bailey’s Prairie oilfield; most of the surrounding farmland remained part of several large ranches. Bailey’s Prairie is located on SH 35 and FM 521, approximately 9 miles northeast of Brazoria, 6 miles west of Angleton, 9 miles east of West Columbia, Texas. Baileys’ Prairie Area Map