Contact
 
 
County
Matagorda
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 927
2000 Census - 861
Nearby
Towns
Blessing, Texas
null
Blessing Texas History:
In 1903, cattleman Jonathan Edwards Pierce donated a railroad right-of-way to the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railroad. He was grateful for the railroad service and filed for a post office named “Thank God.” The post office rejected the name so the future town was named Blessing. The train station had a library attached to it from 1903 to 1905. In 1905 the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway also built a line through Blessing. Jonathan Pierce built the Blessing Hotel in 1906. Blessing was platted in 1907. The town had 500 residents by 1925. The population increased to 600 in 1945, 1,250 by 1966, but dropped to 505 by 1968. In 1977, the Blessing Hotel was given to the Blessing Historical Foundation, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The hotel is sometimes open, but the restaurant is always open; it serves wonderful food. Blessing is located on SH 35 and FM 616, 4.7 miles south of Midfield, 12 miles north of Palacios, 29 miles southwest of Bay City, 6 miles southwest of Elmaton, 24 miles south of El Campo, and 44 miles northeast of Port Lavaca, Texas.
 
Historic Deming's Bridge Community, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Deming's Bridge community grew up around a wooden bridge built over the Tres Palacios River at this site in 1857 for Edward A. Deming, owner of land along the west side of the stream. The crossing provided by Deming's Bridge became a natural gathering place for settlers of western Matagorda County. Tres Palacios Baptist Church, site of many community activities, was established on the east side of the river. The Deming's Bridge Post Office opened in 1858, with Edwin A. Deming serving as postmaster until it was discontinued in 1866. Reinstated in 1872, the post office name was changed to Hawley in 1899. It closed again in 1903 when it was moved to the new settlement of Blessing (2 miles west). A Masonic hall, established in 1874, was also moved to Blessing after location of the railroad there caused a population shift. Hawley Cemetery originated as a two-acre plot of land called Deming's Bridge Cemetery. Among the burials are the graves of brothers and noted cattle ranchers Abel Head "Shanghai" Pierce (1834-1900) and Jonathan Edwards Pierce (1839-1915). Jonathan Pierce donated land to enlarge the cemetery and was instrumental in changing its name in 1898 in honor of Texas Senator Robert B. Hawley (1849-1921).”
 
Historic Old Hawley Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Known 1838-1899 as Deming's Bridge Cemetery. Second post office in Matagorda County was located nearby in 1858. Two acres donated by Emelius Savage and his son Norman for the cemetery and Tres Palacios Baptist Church, founded 1852. More land given by Jonathan E. Pierce, who in 1900 named area Hawley, honoring United States senator Robert Bradley Hawley. Buried here are the brothers Jonathan E. and Abel H. ("Shang") Pierce and many other famous early cattlemen; also, more than 50 veterans of Civil War and all U.S. wars since 1865.”
 
Blessing Branch Library, Blessing, TX: 
This branch of the Palacios, Texas Library offers Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Tue & Thu-Fri, 1pm-6pm. (361) 588-7717. 812 10th Street, Blessing, 77419. In March 2013, the library was in the process of renovating a new library building at 124 9th Street.
 
El Maton National (Dance) Hall and Tavern:
This is one of the oldest dance halls in Texas. It offers live music, cold beer and dancing. It is available for private functions. Open Fri-Sat, 5pm-Midnight. The dance hall hosts an annual St. Patrick’s Day BBQ cook-off with live music on Friday and Saturday nights. (979) 479-5456. (979) 240-5858. The hall is located  south of SH 35 at the intersection of FM 1095 and CR 432, approximately 2 miles east of Blessing, 10 miles southwest of Bay City, and 24 miles south of El Campo, Texas at 565 FM 1095, Elmaton, Texas 77440. Email  Elmaton Area Map  Elmaton Map; Click to Enlarge 
 
Annual Matagorda County Fair & Livestock Show, Feb, Bay City, TX:
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-3:30pm; closed 12-1pm for lunch. (979) 245-2454. Tickets: (979) 245-1819. The fairgrounds are located on the southeast edge of Bay City at 4511 FM 2668, Bay city, TX 77414.
 
Hotel Blessing & Restaurant, Blessing, TX:
Built in 1906, the hotel was given to the Blessing Historical Foundation in 1978. It was restored and functions as a hotel. The Blessing Hotel Coffee Shop still has the old wood stove. The Coffee Shop menu changes daily. The food is excellent country cooking; customers serve themselves from pots set on the old potbellied stoves. Turkey and dressing is served every Sunday. The Coffee Shop serves breakfast and lunch daily; closed on Christmas Day. It closes at 2pm. Sometimes the Hotel is closed, but the restaurant always remains open. The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 588-6623. 128 10th Street, Blessing, Texas 77419. Blessing is located on Sh 35, 17.5 miles southwest of Bay City, Texas. Restaurant Reviews

The Wet Spot Bar & Grill:
They serve food, have jukebox music, and occassionally host special events. (361) 588-7007. 745 FM 616.