Contact
 
 
County
Nueces
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 812
2000 Census - 737
Nearby
Towns
Agua Dulce, Texas
null
Agua Dulce Texas History & Information:
Agua Dulce was settled in the late 1800s. It was named Agua Dulce, Spanish for sweet water, after a nearby creek. The Aqua Dulce post office was established in 1908. The school district was established in 1910; it was consolidated with the nearby Bentonville school district in 1932. In 1914 the town had a general store, a grocery store, a lumber mill, cotton gin, blacksmith, and 100 residents. In 1945 it had 750 residents. It had 30 businesses in 1961. The town profited from the oil boom in the 1930s. Gas wells are still located in the area. Aqua Dulce is located on the Texas Mexican Railway at the intersection of SH 44 and FM 70, 32 miles west of Corpus Christi, 22 miles north of Kingsville, 20 miles west of Robstown, and approximately 7 miles east of Alice, Texas.
 
Historic Battle of Agua Dulce, Texas Historical Marker Text: 
“In March, 1836, Mexican General Jose Urrea was leading a contingent of Mexican troops along the Texas coast with the intention of retaking Goliad. After defeating a small group of Texans in San Patricio, he learned that the remainder of this Texas group was on its way back to San Patricio. On the morning of March 1, 1836, the General's troops set up an ambush approximately 26 miles south of San Patricio. They defeated the returning Texans in what is now known as the Battle of Agua Dulce Creek.”

Fort Lipantitlan State Historic Site Information:
Mexican forces constructed the wooden fort in 1831 in preparation of potential conflicts with Texians.
In 1835, the small Mexican guard force surrendered to Texan forces without a shot being fired. Today, there is nothing left of the fort. The only amenities are 6 picnic tables and Texas Historical markers. Activities include picnicking and birding. Hours and fees do not apply. For more information read Texas Forts History and an article by Charles M. Yates.The fort site is managed by Corpus Christi State Park. It is located 9 miles east of Orange Grove, off SH 359, FM 624 and FM 70. It is hard to find; call the Corpus Christi State Park for directions.(361) 547-2635.