Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 9,657
2000 Census - 9,488
Brownfield, Texas
Brownfield Texas History:
In 1903 in anticipation of the forming of Brown County, town promoters W. G. Hardin and A. F. Small purchased land in the center of Brown County. They platted the property and gave every voter in the county a free lot in order to ensure their site would be chosen as the Brown County seat. They also donated land for schools, churches, and the county courthouse. They named the town after the prominent Brownfield ranching family from whom they purchased the land. The first settler was J.R. Hill who in 1903 built a hotel on the north side of the square, and established the town’s post office in his hotel. A school was built and served as a social and dance hall until the school opened 1905. In 1904, Brownfield was elected county seat of Terry County. The town had automobiles by 1910. In 1917, town residents donated the right-of-way and station grounds to the South Plains and Santa Fe Railway who built a line between Brownfield and Seagraves. Brownfield incorporated in 1920 when it had 1,200 residents. During the Great Depression Brownfield was the best corn producing area in West Texas. This attracted the William Randolph Hearst cattle business that moved into the area and finished 10,000 cattle for market that same year. For a number of years cattle were shipped to Brownfield from Mexico to be fattened. By 1940, Brownfield was the leading grain center on the South Plains and was a supply center for the northern Permian Basin oil field. In 2008, county residents voted to legalize the sale of beer and wine in Terry County. A portion of the downtown streets are paved with red bricks. Brownfield is located at the intersections of U.S. 380/U.S.82, U.S. 62, and SH 137, 85 miles south of Muleshoe, 56 miles southeast of Morton, 29.6 miles south of Levelland, 77 miles southwest of Crosbyton, 39 miles southwest of Lubbock, 29.8 miles west of Tahoka, 38 miles northwest of Lamesa, 71 miles northeast of Hobbs (New Mexico), 41.5 miles northeast of Seminole, 41 miles northeast of Denver City, 24.4 miles northeast of Seagraves, and 32 miles east of Plains, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Terry County Courthouse, 1925:  
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architects Peters & Haynes. The east side addition, designed by architect Carl H. Stautz, was built in 1951. The 2010 terry County census was 12,651. (806) 637-6421. 500 West Main Street, Brownfield, Texas 79316.
Terry County Jail, 1916, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Terry County, organized in 1904, had no jail facility until this frame structure was erected in 1916 on the southeast corner of the courthouse square. The one-room building with two steel cells was replaced in 1926 by a jail located on the top floor of the new courthouse. This small structure then became property of A. T. Fowler, who moved it to his farm in the 1940s. The outside walls were plastered and the interior used for storage. Given to Terry County Heritage Museum in 1974 by A. T. and Terrell Fowler, the old jail was transferred to this site and restored.”
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
Brownfield WPA Post Office Mural, 1940:
The mural, "Ranchers of the Panhandle Fighting Prairie Fire with Skinned Steer," was created by Frank Mechau in 1940. The mural is located at the Brownfield Police Department Headquarters, 120 North 5th Street, 79316. (806) 637-2511.
Terry County Historical Museum:
The museum is located in the restored A.M. Brownfield Home. A vintage windmill, the old Santa Fe depot, and the 1916 Terry County Jail are located on the museum grounds. The depot houses a vintage chuck wagon, Brownfield’s first fire truck and several vintage buggies. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Terry County including a Quanah Parker exhibit, archeological and Indian artifacts, photos, cowboy artifacts, and other vintage items. Open Tue-Sat, 10am-noon; 1pm-3pm, and by special appointments. Closed Sundays and all major holidays. (806) 637-2467. 600 E. Cardwelll Street. Brochure
Meadow Historical Museum, Meadow, Texas:
The museum features exhibits depicting the town and area history. Displays honor veterans, pioneers, and long married couples. An exhibit showcases the works of Meadows native, Sonny Curtis, performer and songwriter. Music hits include “I Fought the Law, and the Mary Tyler Moore TV series’ theme song, “Love is All Around.” The replica of a three room house features authentic 1920s furnishings. Open the 2nd Saturday of each month, 6am-10pm. Admission is free. (806) 539-2066. 205 West Mitchell Street, Meadow, Texas 79345. Meadow is located on U.S. 82/U.S. 62, 11 miles northeast of Brownfield, Texas.
Brownfield Reservable Event Facilities:
The 4,000 square foot Alamo Event Center features a full kitchen, restrooms and an outdoor grill. Outdoor amenities include basketball goals, and batting cages. The reservable 900 square foot Coleman Park party house has a full kitchen and restrooms. The reservable 1,100 square foot Amphitheater features restrooms, tables and chairs, and a kitchen on each side of the building. The 3,400 square foot historic Bailey House is furnished with antique furniture. Amenities include a full kitchen, 4 bathrooms, and an outside grilling area. Call the county judge’s office at (806) 637-642 for information regarding the reservable Terry County party house and the Terry County livestock barn.
High Plains Grape Growers’ Vineyards Tour:
There are many grape growers in the Texas Panhandle and the highest concentration of growers’ vineyards is located in Terry County just east of Brownfield. The Bingham Family members have several vineyards including the vineyards of Nicholas Seaton, Clint Bingham, Cliff Bingham, Kyle Bingham, and Tyler Oswald. Other area vineyards include the Bayer Family Vineyards, Graham Vineyards, the Young Family Vineyards, Newsom Vineyards, Dusty Timmons’ Vineyard, the Paddock’s Vineyard, and Diamante Doble Vineyards.  
Reddy Vineyards:
This Texas grower grows 24 varieties of grapes on 200 acres. (806) 239-2500. 2127 U.S. 380, Brownfield. Email   
Lost Draw Winery & Vineyards:
(806) 637-0924. 1701 CR 525, Brownfield.