Contact
 
 
County
Cherokee
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 1,225
2000 Census - 1,190
Nearby
Towns
Alto, Texas
null
Alto Texas History:
In 1849, Robert F. Mitchell established the town on the Old San Antonio Road on land he acquired in a lawsuit with John Durst. The Branchtown post office was established in 1852. The town was renamed Alto that same year, probably because the town is situated on the highest point between the Angelina and Neches Rivers. The town quickly became a commercial center and a stopping point for travelers. In the mid-1880s, the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad built a line through town. Many businesses and residents of nearby communities moved to Alto to be closer to the railroad. In 1885, Alto had four cotton gin/gristmills, a sawmill, a church, a school, a saloon, several generals stores and 600 residents. An May, 1893 tornado devastated the town. Alto incorporated in 1909. The population peaked in 1929 at 1,600 residents before dropping during the Great Depression. In 2000, cattle ranching, oil and gas, and lumber were the town’s major industries. Alto is located a short distance east of the Neches River and a short distance west of the Angelina River at the intersections of SH 21 (San Antonio Road or the Kings Highway), U.S. 69 (CR 2426), FM 752 and FM 1911, 38.5 miles southeast of Palestine, 22 miles southeast of Maydelle, 36.8 miles southeast of Bullard, 25 miles southeast of Jacksonville and Lake Jacksonville, 13.7 miles southeast of Wells, 12 miles southeast of Rusk, 26 miles south of New Summerfield, 37 miles south of Troup, 55 miles southwest of Joinerville, 41 miles southwest of Mount Enterprise, 23 miles southwest of Sacul, 32 miles northwest of Lufkin, 26 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, 33.6 miles northeast of Crockett, and 29.6 miles northeast of Grapeland, Texas.
 
Historic Chief Bowles last Homesite, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1836, General Sam Houston negotiated a treaty with the Cherokees in Texas allowing possession of the lands they occupied in east Texas. The leading figure among the Cherokees at that time was Duwali (also known as Bowl, Chief Bowles and Bold Hunter). After the Texas Revolution, the Senate of the Republic of Texas declared the treaty invalid. Near this site in 1839, Chief Bowles learned of Texas president Mirabeau B. Lamar's orders to remove the Cherokee from Texas. Bowl mobilized his people to resist the expulsion, but they were defeated and the chief was killed at the Battle of the Neches on July 16, 1839, in what is now Van Zandt County.” The marker is located 2 miles north of Alto on U.S. 69 to CR 2405.
 
Caddoan Mounds State Historic Site Information: 
This 93.8 acre park was the most western ceremonial site of the Mound Builders of Caddoan who lived here from approximately 800 A.D. to 1300 A.D. They supported themselves by fishing in the nearby Neches River, and by hunting and farming. Remaining remnants of their culture include two temple mounds (a low temple mound, and a high temple Ceremonial mound), a burial mound, and a large portion of the Mound Builders' village. The mounds are located on the historic El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail. A 0.7 mile self-guided interpretive loop trail meanders through the site; a short branch trail leads to the borrow pit. A 1.5 hour guided tour is available. Group tours are available by appointment. Facilities include a picnic area, and the visitor center and gift shop featuring an interpretive center and restrooms. The Caddoan Mounds Site is wheelchair accessible. Texas Historical Markers are located at the High Temple Ceremonial Mound on SH 21, and on CR 2907 (Weeping Mary Road) at the Zebulon Pike Campsite. This SHS hosts special programs and events, and group tours by appointment. For more information read the Park Brochure, view the Facilities Map, and go to the Caddoan Mounds SHS Home Page. Caddoan Mounds is located 6 miles southwest of Alto, Texas, on SH 21.
 
Sacul Opry House Music, 4th Saturday of each Month, Sacul:
These events are sponsored by the Sacul Bluegrass Opry which is owned by Novis White and Kenneth Garner. The opry is housed in a historic 102 year old building, about the only building in town. Four to six Bluegrass, Gospel, or Country Music bands perform each month. Shows start at 6:30pm, and are free to the public. Donations are requested for the building upkeep. The show has been featured in various publications including Texas Highways and Reader's Digest. The Opry House is open Fridays from noon to 5pm for those who want to drop by and do some pickin'. Cowboy and Sara Barrett help run the Sacul Opry each month, and also host two annual Bluegrass Reunions at their Sandyland Farm. (936) 569-1179. Sacul is located 26 miles northeast of Alton, 16.5 miles northeast of Rusk, 5 miles west of Cushing, and 26 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, Texas. Sacul Texas Map; Click to Enlarge   Sacul Texas Area Map
 
Stella Hill Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue, 1pm-9pm; Thu, 1pm-5pm; Sat, 9am-1pm. (936) 858-4343. 204 W. San Antonio Street.
 
Miss Mollie's Diner:
They serve very good southern cooking. (936) 858-1001. 210 West San Antonio Street. Reviews
 
Jetta's Hot Pot & Sandwich Shop:
They serve very good salads. Sandwiches. Smoothies and coffee drinks. (936) 858-3100. 250 South Marcus Street. Reviews