Contact
 
 
Counties
Johnson, Tarrant
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 36,690
2000 Census - 20,976
Nearby
Towns
Burleson, Texas
null
Burleson Texas History:
In 1881, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas (MKT or Katy) Railroad built a line from Fort Worth to Hillsboro, and established a station at the current Burleson townsite. The town grew up around the train station. Because the Rev. Henry C. Renfro sold the railroad the right-of-way and townsite, he was allowed to name the town. He named the town in honor of Dr. Rufus C. Burleson, his teacher and later president of Baylor University. In 1882, the Burleson post established was established in John L, Dickey’s saloon. For the next 50 years, the economy was largely based on livestock and farming. In 1899, Burleson shipped 2,000 bales of cotton, eighty cars of wheat and oats, and thirty cars of cottonseed. The community was incorporated before 1930. In 1912, Burleson became a stop on the Interurban electric rail line between Cleburne and Fort Worth. In 1924, SH 21 was built between Fort Worth and Alvarado via Burleson. The railway and the road benefited the town’s growth. Since 1950 Burleson has grown rapidly due to its proximity to Fort Worth. Burleson is located on Shannon and Village Creeks at the intersections of IH-35 West, SH 174 and FM 1187, 13 miles south of Fort Worth, 37 miles southwest of Grapevine, 49 miles southwest of Dallas, 34 miles southwest of Cedar Hill, 33 miles southwest of Grand Prairie, 25 miles southwest of Arlington, 41 miles northwest of Hillsboro, 39 miles northwest of Waxahachie, 39 miles northeast of Glen Rose, 38 miles northeast of Granbury, 15.7 miles northeast of Cleburne, 38 miles southeast of Weatherford, 33 miles southeast of Azle, and 17.8 miles southeast of Benbrook, Texas. 
 
Burleson Veterans Memorial at Renfro Square:
The memorial features a beautiful fountain, flags, benches and inlaid sidewalk memorial bricks which may be purchased to honor Burleson connected veterans. Brick order forms are available at the public library. An interactive kiosk allows visitors to search for a veteran by name, branch of service, war or geographic location. It allows access to the personal histories and other stories about the service of the military veterans whose names are memorialized at the park. (817) 426-9206. (817) 426-9207. Renfro Square is located at the corner of Renfro Street and IH-35. The library is located at 248 SW Johnson Avenue; (817) 426-9210.
 
Burleson Visitors Center & Museum:
The Visitor Center and Museum are located in the renovated Interurban Train Depot. The depot was the site of Burleson’s first concrete floor and first light bulb. The museum features items depicting the history of Johnson County and the City of Burleson. The Center is operated jointly by the City of Burleson and the Burleson Heritage Foundation and is staffed by BHF volunteers. Open Wed-Sat, 10am-4pm. (817) 447-1575. 124 W. Ellison Street.