Contact
 
 
County
Burnet
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 5,987
2000 Census - 4,735
Nearby
Towns
Burnet, Texas
null
Burnet Texas History:
Fort Croghan was established in 1849. It was one in a string of eight forts established from the Rio Grande River to the Red River to protect settlers from hostile Indians. The settlement that grew near the fort was initially called Hamilton or Hamilton Valley. Logan Vandeveer and Peter Kerr were among the first to obtain contracts to furnish the fort with beef and other foodstuffs. In 1852, Vandeveer was instrumental in petitioning the Texas Legislature to authorize the creation of Burnet (Burn-et) County. Hamilton became the county seat. The Burnet Courthouse post office was established that same year. In 1857, town residents petitioned the state legislature to rename the town Burnet because there was another town in Texas named Hamilton. The town was renamed Burnet in 1858. Burnet incorporated in 1883. In 1882, the Austin and Northwestern Railroad built a line to the town, making Burnet the railhead for the area to the west. On June 3, 1885, Southern Produce Company shipped 157,000 pounds of wool from Burnet, reportedly the third largest wool shipment made up to that time in Texas. In 1885, Gustav Wilke, the subcontractor building the state capitol building in Austin, constructed a narrow-gauge railroad from Granite Mountain, fourteen miles south of Burnet, to Burnet where he established a yard to prepare the granite that was used in the construction of the capitol building. The granite was also used to construct the Burnet County Courthouse. After the railroad was extended to Llano in 1892, Burnet declined as a supply point and became a farming and livestock center. In 1931, the first attempt was made to build the Lake Buchanan dam 10 miles west of Burnet; this dam was called Hamilton Dam. When the 2 mile long Buchanan Dam was completed in 1937, it was the longest multiple-arch dam in the United States. Burnet became the home and supply base for the 800 or so workers. The project failed due to the Great Depression. In 1934, the Lower Colorado River Authority was established. Financed by the federal Public Works Administration (an FDR New Deal program), The LCRA acquired and completed the dam and changed the name to Buchanan Dam. Today the town’s economy is supported by hunting, farming, tourism and recreational activities. The downtown area features buildings from the 1800s. Burnet is located on Hamilton Creek at the intersection of U.S. 281 (Water Street) and SH 29 (Buchanan Drive), 29.5 miles east of Llano, 13 miles east of Buchanan Dam (Lake Buchanan & Inks Lake), 22 miles southeast of Bluffton, approximately 20 miles southeast of Tow, 22 miles south of Lampasas, 50.5 miles southwest of Killeen, 30.7 miles southwest of Florence, 10.6 miles west of Bertram, 55 miles northwest of Austin, 35.4 miles northwest of Georgetown, 35.6 miles northwest of Cedar Park, 29 miles northwest of Leander, 20.5 miles northwest of Liberty Hill, 36 miles northwest of Jonestown, 12.9 miles northeast of Marble Falls, 20 miles northeast of Horseshoe Bay, 21 miles northeast of Granite Shoals, and 21 miles northwest of Kingsland, Texas. 
 
Burnet County Courthouse, 1937:
This granite courthouse was designed in modern style by Wirtz and Calhoun. The granite came from Granite Mountain. An addition was added in 1974. The 2010 Burnet County census was 42,750. (512) 756-5420. 220 South Pierce Street, 78611.