Contact
 
 
County
Wichita
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 10,811
2000 Census - 10,927
Nearby
Towns
Burkburnett, Texas
null
Burkburnett Texas History:
The area was first settled by Mabel Gilbert in 1856. In 1879, the small community of Nesterville was founded by J. G. Hardin and J. P. Hawkins. In 1880, the town had a small store and a population of 132. When the post office was established in 1882, it was named Gilbert. In 1906, a group of investors purchased 16,997 acres of Burk Burnett’s Four Sixes Ranch. These investors planned to extend the Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway northward from Wichita Falls to connect with other rail lines in Oklahoma and Kansas. The Burkburnett townsite was plated along the tracks, a mile north of Gilbert. The Red River Land Company auctioned lots in 1907. The train depot and the Burkburnett post office opened that same year. Residents and businesses from Gilbert moved to the new town to be closer to the railroad. By 1912 Burkburnett had a school, a bank, a hotel, cotton gins, and a newspaper. Burkburnett incorporated in 1913 when it had approximately 1,000 residents. A municipal water system was constructed in 1918. In 1912, oil was discovered west of town. Larger strikes were made in 1918 and 1925. These strikes made Burkburnett a boom town until the oil boom died in the late 1920s. Burkburnett is located just northwest of the Sheppard Air Force Base and south of the Red River and the Oklahoma border at the intersection of U.S. 281/U.S. 277/IH-44 and SH 240 (3rd Street), 24.5 miles northeast of Electra, 16 miles northeast of Iowa Park, 34 miles northwest of Henrietta, and 14.7 miles northwest of Wichita Falls, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Burkburnett Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, fax and copy machines, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue & Thu, 10am-8pm; Wed & Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sunday & Monday. (940) 569-2991. 214 E. 4th Street. Email