Contact
 
 
County
Knox
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 258
2000 Census - 264
Nearby
Towns
Benjamin, Texas
null
Benjamin Texas History:
Hilory H. Bedford founded the town in 1885, and named it after his son Benjamin who had been killed by lightening. Bedford was controlling shareholder of the Wichita and Brazos Stock Company. To encourage town development, he gave each of his fellow stockholders 50 acres of land and donated four acres for a town square. He was instrumental in the organization of Knox County in 1886, with Benjamin as the county seat. The Benjamin post office was established in 1884. The WPA constructed the county courthouse in 1938 and the Benjamin ISD buildings in 1942. Benjamin is located at the intersection of SH 6 and U.S. 82/SH 114, 32.7 miles east of Guthrie, 61 miles southeast of Paducah, 50.5 miles south of Quanah, 28.5 miles south of Crowell, 61 miles southwest of Vernon, 31.7 miles west of Seymour, 56 miles northwest of Throckmorton, 39 miles northwest of Haskell, 19 miles northwest of Munday, 48 miles north of Stamford, and 12 miles northeast of Knox City, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
First Settlement in Knox County Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In the immediate area of the L Bar Ranch were 12 families, most of them stockholders in the Wichita & Brazos Cattle Company. To assure them church and school privileges, in 1885 H.G. Bedford started the town of Benjamin, located 6 miles west of The Narrows, naming it for his eldest son. In 1886 he was instrumental in getting Knox County organized with Benjamin as county seat. FOUNDERS of BENJAMIN H. G. Bedford, Rufus Browder, G.B. Stewart, L.W. Ricketts, R.P. Dimmett, W.W. Wetherly, T.G. Stewart, Ed W. Bedford, J.W. Hinton, A.E. Brannin, R.D. Goree, H.C. Thompson. Other side L - RANCH; HILORY GREEN BEDFORD In 1884, Hilory G. Bedford formed Wichita & Brazos Stock Company to own and operate the L Bar Ranch. Retaining 51% stock, he became president with R.P. Dimmitt secretary. This company had a herd of some 8,000 cattle, grazing on the open range, centered north to south at The Narrows, between Wichita & Brazos rivers, branding S on neck and L - on left side. Headquarters of ranch were 4 miles northeast of The Narrows on north bank S. Wichita River, about center of present John Ed Jones ranch. 1886-1887 loss of many cattle by severe drought and blizzards and sharp drop in prices caused dissolution of W&B Stock Company and disposal of ranch in 1887. Erected by some descendants of first settlers in tribute to settlers and their leader, H.G. Bedford.” The marker is located on the Courthouse Square on U.S. 82.
 
Texas Business Pioneer Pleasant C. Sams, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1850's came to Texas from Arkansas. At 16, on outbreak of Civil War, was left in charge of family mills, instructed by his father to give entire flour output to widows of Confederates. In 1862, captured in Missouri, as he went through enemy lines to get his bride; "escaped" from Federal who also admired bride. Wedding trip was horseback ride to Texas. He served 1864-65 in Confederate frontier regiment. Pioneer cattlemen; business and financial leader. Founder and president, Benjamin Commercial Company. President and director, First National Bank, Benjamin.” The marker is located on U.S. 82, 3.5 miles east of town.  
 
Knox County Veterans Memorial:
In 1997, the Texas legislature designated SH 6 as the Texas Korean Veterans Memorial Highway. A Veterans Memorial dedicated to all veterans who are residents or former residents of Knox County is located at the intersection of U.S. 82 and SH 6; all branches of the military are represented. The monument was paid for with private donations from around the nation. An annual Veterans Day ceremony is held at the memorial.
 
Knox County Courthouse, 1935:
The stone courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Voelcker and Dixon.It was built by the WPA during the Great Depression. The 2010 Knox County census was 3,719. The courthouse is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of U.S. 82 and SH 6. (940) 459-2191. Email  
 
Knox County Jail, 1887:
This was the county’s second jail; it still features the original window bars. The jail is now a private residence. The above link features a photo of the original bank vault.
 
Wichita-Brazos Museum & Cultural Center:
The museum features a barbed wire exhibit and other exhibits depicting the history of Benjamin and Knox County. Displays are rotated every few months. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. (940) 459-2229. The museum is located at 200 East Hays Street (U.S. 82).
 
57 Heaven Museum, Knox City, Texas:
This museum features exhibits depicting the history of Knox City during the 1950s and 1960s. According to the Abilene Reporter-News, exhibits are from Glen Large’s collections and include hubcaps, auto hood ornaments, photographs, tools, barbed wire, Vietnam memorabilia, and the beach ball size orb that originally sat atop the Knox City water tower. There is also a display dedicated to former Constable Leroy Davis. Glen owns and manages the museum and has space for working on his collection of six 1957 Ford automobiles. The museum is located at Main Street and Central Avenue. Knox City Chamber of Commerce Email
 
Benjamin Annual Events:
The annual October PTO Fall Festival features vendors, bingo, food, a pageant, skits and kids’ entertainment. The annual Mid-December Rockin’ Ranch Christmas features family friendly activities in downtown Benjamin. (940) 459-4131. Email
 
Annual Knox City Watermelon Festival, Last Weekend in July:
Activities include a carnival, a parade, arts and crafts, food booths, free swimming, free watermelon slices, contests, live music and more. Open Friday afternoon through Saturday. This event is held at City Park in the 100-2000 blocks of 2nd and 3rd Streets. Knox City is located 12 miles south of Benjamin and 12 miles west of Munday, Texas. Email