Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 443
2000 Census - 301
Bedias, Texas
Bedias Texas History:
In 1835, Thomas Phiney Plaster established a plantation a few miles from the present town of Bedias. The community that grew up near the plantation was named Plasterville. In 1844, Archelaus B. and Sarah Bradley Dodson established a home just north of Plasterville. Sarah is credited with designing the Lone Star flag. The community was renamed Bedias when the Bedias post office was established. By 1871, the town had Methodist and Baptists congregations. The International-Great Northern Railroad established a line to Bedias in 1903. A 1927 fire destroyed most of the business section, but it was rebuilt. In 2000 Bedias had 38 businesses. Bedias is located at the intersection of SH 90 and FMs 1696 and 2620, 10 miles east of Iola, 21.3 miles north of Anderson, 40 miles northeast of College Station, 41 miles northeast of Bryan, 31 miles northeast of Navasota, 13 miles south of Madisonville, 52 miles southwest of Crockett, 31.5 miles northwest of Huntsville and Huntsville State Park, 42 miles northwest of Montgomery and Lake Conroe, and 44.6 miles slightly northwest of Plantersville, Texas. 
Historic Town of Bedias, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(The Town was) Named for North and South Bedias Creeks, which in turn were named for the Bidi Indians, an agricultural people reputed to have been the oldest inhabitants of the area. Bidai" means "brushwood", which may refer to the building material used in their dwellings. The first white settlement in this vicinity was founded 1835 by Thomas P. Plaster, and for a while it was called Plasterville. In 1903, the community of "Old" Bedias surrendered most of its population to "New" Bedias after a branch of the International & Great Northern Railroad was built to the northeast. Townspeople from Pankey and Cotton also moved here. The name "Bedias" was retained, but only after a heated struggle in which determined citizens refused to have the town named for a railroad official. A famous, early resident of the Bedias area was Sarah Dodson, who in 1835 made the first "Lone Star" flag in Texas. She lived here from 1844 to 1848 and is buried in Old Bethel Cemetery, seven miles west. One of the most unique features of this region is the large number of Tektites (also called "Bediasites") found here. These are beautiful, glassy, meteor-like stones which fell to earth 34 million years ago. Amazingly, Indians called them "jewels of the moon." The marker is located in Cooper Park on FM 1696 near downtown Bedias.
Historic Sarah Bradley Dodson & Lone Star Flag, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Born in Kentucky in 1812, eleven-year-old Sarah Bradley and her parents arrived in Texas in 1823 with Stephen F. Austin's old three hundred colonists, settling near Brazoria. Sarah married Archelaus Bynum Dodson of nearby Harrisburg on May 17, 1835. As tensions mounted between Mexico and the Texian colonists, a call for military volunteers was circulated in September 1835, and Archelaus Dodson became First Lt. in Captain Andrew Robinson's Harrisburg Volunteers. Sarah offered to design and make a flag for her husband's company. Using blue, white, and red calico, she fashioned a flag of three equal squares, with a five pointed white star in the center of the blue square. Reportedly the first Lone Star flag, the banner was displayed in the town of Gonzales in October 1835, and in December flew during the Siege of Bexar. When the Declaration of Independence was signed, two flags were seen flying over Convention Hall. One was described as a Lone Star flag and is believed to have been the one made by Sarah Dodson. Following the Texan victory at San Jacinto, the Dodsons lived in Fort Bend County, and then moved in 1844 to Grimes County. They donated the land for Bethel Cemetery (5 mi. N) where Sarah was buried in 1848.” From Bedias take SH 90 N approximately 4 miles to the roadside park.
Event Venue - Bedias Civic Center:
This reservable center is available for private and public events. (936) 395-0383. 3652 Main Street. 
Star Haven Farms, Iola:
Ray and Karen Hadaway raise antibiotic, hormone, chemical free grass-fed beef and Boer goats. They sell beef by the side or quarter, and in small and large variety packs. They also sell pastured hen eggs, and live goats for breeding or for 4H projects. (936) 394-9072. The farm is located just south of Iola, Texas at 17754 CR 124, Bedias, Texas 77831
Yankee's Tavern & Live Music, Cold Beer & Free Advice, Carlos, Texas:
They serve good (huge) hamburgers, beer, and free advice. Wednesday steak night features 16-ounce marinated Ribeyes and a large potato (5pm-9pm). Happy Hour is Mon-Fri, 2pm-6pm. They host live music on Sunday afternoons. Open daily, 11am-9pm. (936) 873-3314. The restaurant is located at 10328 FM 244, Carlos, Texas. From Anderson, go north on SH 90, then turn left onto FM 244 and drive to Carlos, Texas. Carlos is located just south of Gibbons Creek Reservoir, approximately 18 miles southeast of College Station, 20 miles northeast of Navasota, and approximately 9 miles northwest of Anderson, Texas. Carlos Texas Area Map