Contact
 
 
County
Stonewall
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 919
2000 Census - 1,021
Nearby
Towns
Aspermont, Texas
null
Aspermont Texas History:
In 1889, A.L. Rhomberg donated the townsite and platted the town. The post office opened that same year. Aspermont replaced Rayner as county seat in 1898 when it had 250 residents. Rayner contested the election which was settled by the courts in 1900. Aspermont incorporated in 1909 when it had 700 residents. Local businessmen made donations to the Stamford and Northwestern Railway to encourage the railroad to extend a line from Stamford to Aspermont. The line was completed in 1909. Construction of Lake Aspermont, the town’s water source, began in 1914. Aspermont is located at the intersections of U.S. 83, U.S. 380, FM 3457 and FM 2211, 48 miles southeast of Spur, 24 miles southeast of Jayton, 35 miles slightly southeast of Guthrie, 50 miles southwest of Benjamin, 38 miles southwest of Knox City, 31 miles west of Haskell, 30 miles northwest of Stamford, 63 miles northwest of Abilene, 36 miles northwest of Anson, 18 miles northwest of Hamlin, 57 miles northeast of Sweetwater, 37 miles northeast of Roby, and 18 miles northwest of Hamlin, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Stonewall County Courthouse, 1984:
The brick courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Mills-Davis of Lubbock, Texas. The Lady of Justice statue and the Veterans Memorial are located on the courthouse lawn. The 2010 Stonewall County census was 1,490. (940) 989-2272. Aspermont, Texas 79502. Email 
 
Tower Drive-In Movie Theater, Rule, TX:
The theater offers double features Fri-Sun, during the spring and fall, and nightly during the summer. (940) 997-0137. The theater is located at 7734 SH 6, 1 mile north of Rule and U.S 380. Rule is located 17 miles southwest of Knox City, 9.7 miles northwest of Haskell, 19 miles northwest of Stamford, and 21 miles southeast of Aspermont, Texas. Rule Texas Map  Rule Area Map