Contact
 
 
County
Brazoria
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 18,862
2000 Census - 18,130
Nearby
Towns
Angleton, Texas
null
AngletonTexas History:
Angleton was founded in 1890 by Lewis R. Bryan and Faustino Kiber and named for the wife of the general manager of the Velasco Terminal Railway. The founders deeded one-half interest in the original townsite to the railway in 1892 with the stipulation that the railroad build a line through the town and build a depot on Front Street, between Mulberry and Myrtle streets. The railroad’s bypassing the county seat of Brazoria caused the decline of that town. In 1896, Angleton was elected the new county seat of Brazoria County causing a bitter political fight. It is said that Angleton citizens so feared the county records would be destroyed by angry Brazoria residents that Angleton residents moved the records to Angleton at night. The 1913 election to return the county seat to Brazoria failed. The 1897 county courthouse in Angleton has been restored and now houses a museum. The Angleton post office was established in 1892. The town suffered immense damage from the 1900 and 1909 hurricanes but rebuilt. Angleton incorporated in 1912. What was probably the last legal hanging in Texas occurred in Angleton on August 31, 1923. The Brazos County Fair is the largest county fair in Texas. It is headquartered on a 120-acre, county-owned site just south of the city. During World War II the fairgrounds were turned over to the federal government for use as a prisoner of war camp and later as a base for a United States Signal Corps radar unit. Today Angleton’s economy is still partially based on agriculture, but chemical companies contribute a large amount to the economy. The 2010 Angleton census was 18,862. Angleton is located at the intersection of SH 288 and SH 35, 21.5 miles southeast of Alvin, 41 miles south of Houston, 49 miles southwest of Galveston, 7 miles southwest of Danbury, 22 miles northwest of Quintana, 19.8 miles northwest of Surfside Beach, 15.3 miles northwest of Oyster Creek, 10.6 miles northwest of Clute, 8.4 miles slightly northwest of Richwood, 19 miles north of Freeport, 18 miles north of Jones Creek, 12.6 miles north of Lake Jackson, 23.5 miles northeast of Sweeny, 14 miles northeast of Brazoria, 13.7 miles east of West Columbia, Texas.
  
Southern Brazoria County Transit System:
This system operates with Lake Jackson, Clute, Freeport and Angleton, and provides connections between the four towns. (800) 266-2320. (409) 945-0820. The system operates Mon-Fri, 6am-6pm, and during summers. 
 
Bailey's Prairie Texas History: 
In 1818, 1812 war veteran James Briton Bailey and his family settled in the area on a 4,587-acre Spanish land grant. Stephen F. Austin disputed Bailey’s claim, but ultimately recognized his claim. Bailey took a new title to the land in 1824, thereby becoming one of the Old Three Hundred. Bailey was an Irishman and was tall, fearless and courageous. He was known for his integrity and eccentric behavior. At his request he was buried standing up, facing west, his gun at his side so no one could look down on him, even in death. His restless ghost is said to walk this prairie. The town grew up around Bailey’s plantation and the league of land granted by the Mexican government to M.S. Munson. Early settlers established large sugar plantations and some also ran cattle. In 1839 the Rev. Jesse Hord established a Methodist Church. By 1936 the community had a church, cemetery, scattered dwellings, and the nearby Bailey’s Prairie oilfield. Most of the surrounding farmland remained part of several large ranches. Bailey’s Prairie is located on SH 35 and FM 521, approximately 9 miles northeast of Brazoria, 6 miles west of Angleton, 9 miles east of West Columbia, Texas.  Baileys’ Prairie Area Map
 
Historic James Briton “Brit” Bailey, 1779-1833, Texas Historical Marker Text:
Pioneer Texan noted for his courage, integrity, and eccentric behavior. Came to Texas in 1818 with wife and six children. He settled on what came to be “Bailey’s Prairie”. Joined Stephen F. Austin’s colony, 1824. Bailey became a Captain in the local militia. Fought in battles preceding 1836 Texas Revolution. At his request he was buried standing up, facing west, and gun at his side so no one could look down on him, even in death.”  Marker located on SH 35 at a roadside park, Bailey’s Prairie.
 
Stephen F. Austin Statue-Munson Historical Park, 10 Acres:  
The Brazoria County park is named after Henry Munson who established Peach Point Plantation on a Stephen F. Austin land grant. Descendants still live on this property. Henry Munson, rancher and descendent of the first Henry Munson, donated ten acres of parkland for the 76-foot tall Stephen F. Austin statue which was designed by David Adickes. A one-acre lake in the shape of Texas serves as the focal point for the 900-foot “Walk of Honor,” which pays tribute to residents who had a significant impact in the county since 1469. Additional amenities include a visitor center and gift shop, and picnic area. A Texas Historical Marker is located onsite. Historical reenactments, living history programs, interpretive events and other events are held at the park through the year. The park is open Wed-Sun, 9am-6pm. (979) 849-6443. The statue and park are located at 25655 South SH 288, near the SH 35 Exit.
 
Brazoria CountyCourthouse, 1976:
This modern courthouse is connected to the rear of the 1940 courthouse by a glass atrium. The 2010 Brazoria County census was 313,166. (979) 849-5711. 111 E. Locust Street.
 
Brazoria County Courthouse, 1940:
This modern granite and limestone courthouse was designed by architect Lamar Q. Cato. It features metal panels depicting the areas’ fishing, cattle, chemicals, and agriculture industries. This courthouse was built after a 1932 storm damaged the 1897 courthouse. The courthouse is located behind the 1976 courthouse.
 
Brazoria County Courthouse, 1897:
This courthouse was designed by architect Eugene Heiner in Italian Renaissance style. It houses the Brazoria County Historical Museum. 100 E. Cedar Street.
 
Brazoria County Historical Museum:
The Brazoria County Historical Museum is housed in the 1897 Brazoria County Courthouse and is the home of the permanent Austin Colony Exhibit, the first fully definitive exhibition ever mounted on the Colonial period of Texas history. Sixty-eight panels provide visitors a clear and concise chronology, depicting the chain of events from the era of Spanish exploration through the events leading to the Texas war for independence from Mexico. The exhibit includes replicas of lost weapons and tools from pre-historic times to 1826, artifacts of daily life; rare books and documents, letters from early colonists and a newly sculptured bust and oil painting of the father of Texas. Stephen F. Austin. Visitors are introduced to the exhibit by a video, The Brazos River Letters, inspired by the letters of a young Austin Colony girl to her friends back home. Visitors also have access to a computerized "Old 300" genealogical data base to deter if their ancestors were, perhaps, members of Austin's first colony. Traveling exhibits are offered from time to time and the Adriance Research Center includes a print collection of more than 1,000 volumes on Brazoria County or related historical subjects. It also houses more than 3,000 historic photographs, hundreds of family histories, an oral history collection, an extensive genealogical collection, files of clippings and articles, and Brazoria County tax rolls from 1837 to 1910. Early newspapers on microfilm are available to researchers. The museum maintains geocaches scattered around Brazoria County. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 9am-3pm. (979) 864-1208. 100 E. Cedar Street, 77515.  Email  Facebook
 
The Center for the Arts & Scienceson the Brazosport College Campus, Lake Jackson:
In 1976 the Brazosport Fin Arts Council moved the arts and science organization that had operated under its umbrella since the 1960s to a new building on the Brazosport College Campus in Lake Jackson. The original Little Theater and the Brazosport Music Theater were combined and renamed the Brazosport Center Stages. This center is a 45,000 square foot cultural center and educational complex. Arts and science groups include the Brazosport Museum of Natural Science, the Brazosport Art League Gallery and studios, the Brazosport Center Stages Theater, the Brazosport Symphony, and the Brazosport Planetarium. The Center is owned and operated by The Brazosport Fine Arts Council. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. (979) 265-7661 or (877) 265-7661. 400 College Boulevard, Clute, Texas 77531, on the Brazosport College campus (500 College Boulevard) which has a Lake Jackson address. Angleton is 12.6 miles north of Lake Jackson, Texas.  Email  @bportcenter
 
Brazosport College, Lake Jackson:
This two-year college provides academic and vocational curriculums. The Center for the Ars and Sciences is located on campus (400 College Boulevard, Clute). (979) 230-3600. 500 College Boulevard, Lake Jackson, TX 77566. Angleton is 12.6 miles north of Lake Jackson, Texas.   
 
Angleton Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon-Tue, 9am-8pm; Wed-Sat, 9am-6pm; closed Sunday. (979) 864-1519. 401 E. Cedar Street. Email