Gulf Coast
2010 Census - 2,243
2000 Census - 2,120
Anahuac, Texas
Anahuac Texas History:
The earliest inhabitants of the Anahuac area were the Atakapan Indians who were visited by French explorer Jean Baptiste de La Harpe in 1721. In 1816 Col. Henry Perry established a camp in the area; the site became known by Anglos as Perry’s Point. In October 1830 Mexican Col. John Davis Bradburn and his men arrived to begin construction of Fort Anahuac. He renamed the town Anahuac. In 1832 and 1835 two battles preceding the Texas Revolution were fought. The 1832 battle caused the town’s population to decline. In 1938 a dispute over the ownership of the townsite arose between Gen. Thomas Jefferson Chambers and Charles Wilcox; it was resolved by Chambers assassination in 1865. Anahuac residents resisted Chamber’s attempts to rename the town Chambers. In 1862, a small Confederate outpost was established and named Fort Chambers. The first large commercial project was a large sawmill built by Jesse and Charles R. Cummings in 1894. The sawmill was moved to Wallisville in 1898. The Anahuac Townsite Company began developing the town in the early 1900s. Anahuac was voted the Chambers County Seat over Wallisville in 1907. Wallisville disputed the election to no avail. The town experienced significant economic growth in 1935 with the discovery of the Anahuac and Turtle Bay oilfields. Anahuac incorporated in 1948. In 1963 the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service established the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge 16 miles southeast of town. The first annual Gatorfest in September 1989 drew 14,000 visitors to Fort Anahuac Park. Anahuac is located on SH 65 at the mouth of the Trinity River and on Trinity and Galveston Bays, 21 miles southwest of Winnie, 18 miles slightly northeast of Smith Point, 10 miles southeast of Wallisville, 18.4 miles southeast of Moss Bluff, 45 miles west of Port Arthur, 46 miles southwest of Beaumont, 8 miles north of Oak Island, 35 miles northwest of High Island, 28.5 miles northeast of Baytown, and 49 miles east of Houston, Texas. 
Anahuac Veterans Memorial:
This memorial is located in front of the American Legion Hall in Fort Anahuac Park. The park is located at 1704 Main Street on Trinity Bay, Anahuac.
Chambers County Courthouse & Photos, 1936:
Chambers County has had 4 courthouses; the first two were located in Wallisville. The current courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Cornell G. Curtis. This WPA project courthouse was built out of limestone and cement. The 2010 Chamber County census was 35,096. 404 Washington Street.