Contact
 
 
County
Washington
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 300
2000 Census - 359
Nearby
Towns
Burton, Texas
null
Burton Texas History:
Burton was established in 1862 and named for early settler John M. Burton. The Burton post office was established in 1870; the town incorporated in 1872. After the Civil War, the town’s growth was helped by the extension of the Houston and Texas Central Railway from Brenham to Austin. Leander H. McNelly, one of the most famous Texas Rangers was buried near Burton in 1877. The La Bahia Turn Verein dance and social hall was established in 1879; the current building was built in 1902. In the early 1980s, economist Douglas Hutchinson of Burton, Ohio, purchased a Victorian house in Burton and renovated the old Burton cotton gin for use as a center for information on cotton ginning. This gin is now the Old Cotton Gin Museum. Burton is located at the intersections of U.S. 290, FM 1697, and FM 390 (Main Street), 17 miles southwest of Somerville and Lake Somerville, 32 miles southwest of Washington, 12.6 miles west of Brenham, 34 miles northwest of Hempstead, 30 miles northwest of Bellville, 26 miles northwest of New Ulm, 20.4 miles northwest of Industry, 37 miles northeast of Ellinger, 28 miles northeast of Fayetteville, 27 miles northeast of La Grange, 11 miles northeast of Round Top, 48.6 miles east of Bastrop, 22.7 miles east of Giddings, 31 miles southeast of Lincoln, and 35 miles southeast of Caldwell, Texas.
 
Historic Washington County:
Washington County has over 120 Texas Historical Markers; a guide is available from the Washington County Chamber of Commerce. (979) 836-3695. 314 S. Austin Street, Brenham, TX 77833. Email