Contact
 
 
County
Nueces
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 3,134
2000 Census - 3,337
Nearby
Towns
Bishop, Texas
null
Bishop Texas History:
In 1910 F.Z. Bishop purchased 2,300 acres on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railroad from the Driscoll Ranch and formed the town which he named after himself. He installed electrical, telephone and sewage systems, paved streets, and sidewalks before he sold lots. A hotel, several residences, and a $16,000 store and office building were opened. The same year the first school opened in a three room frame building. Sixteen children enrolled and enrollment increased to 60 by the end of the term. In 1923, the town sold 30,000 bales of cotton for over $4 million. By 1941, the town has earned the title “Grain Mart of the Coastal Bend.” The town is still primarily an agricultural and farming area producing corn, grains, cotton, sorghums, livestock and poetry. The most visible feature in Bishop is the giant plant of the Celanese Corporation located on Business U.S. 77. The company opened the chemical plant in 1945. Today the facility houses three companies; Celanese (chemicals), Ticona (plastics), and Ticona (pharmaceuticals). Bishop is located at the intersection of FM 70 and U.S. 77, 44 miles southeast of Mathis and Lake Corpus Christi, 7 miles south of Driscoll, 8 miles north of Kingsville, 19 miles north of Riviera, and 31 miles southwest of Corpus Christi, Texas. 
 
Historic Bishop, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The town of Bishop was established in 1910 by F.Z. Bishop on land he had purchased from the Driscoll Ranch. The townsite was staked on both sides of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico railroad line.  F.Z. Bishop, who dreamed of building a model town on the prairie, managed construction of the town. Bishop planned the townsite and designed the business district to have a uniform appearance with brick facades. He began construction of an electric plant and water system, planted 600 palm trees along the streets, and laid three miles of sidewalks in town. A 40-acre city park with a lake, band pavilion and deer park were underway. A frame schoolhouse was built, and opened in September 1910. The town grew quickly and within two years the population had grown to 1,000. The town was incorporated in April 1912; R.R. Hall, business manager for F.Z. Bishop, was elected first mayor. Churches were built. A two story brick school with a raised basement replaced the first school. Although F.Z. Bishop declared bankruptcy in 1916, the town continued to grow and prosper. Oil and gas discoveries in the 1940's caused petroleum-related industries to supplant agriculture as the chief economic base. F.Z. Bishop was buried in Bishop in 1950.” The marker is located in Bishop at Ash and East Main Street.
 
Historic Cattle Dipping Vat, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1894 this vat-- believed to be the first in the world-- was built to stop the spread of tick fever, which was destroying thousands of U.S. beef cattle. By the 1880s, the disease had become widespread, and official and "shotgun" quarantines prevented cattle from moving across the affected area, bounded by a line from the Rio Grande to the Atlantic. Although the mortality rate from tick fever (also called "Texas" and "Splenetic" fever) sometimes reached 90 percent, longhorns and other native southwestern cattle were immune. They did, however, carry the insect, which could infect other animals. Efforts to eradicate the tick (Margaropus annulatus) centered here, headed by officials from Texas A & M College and the U.S. Bureau of Animal Industry. Manager of the King Ranch, R. J. Kleberg, allowed the vat to be built, and 25,000 tick-infested cattle from the ranch were dipped. An effective formula of oil and sulphur was found here. In October, 1898, the U.S. quarantine was lifted for cattle treated in the dip. This eradication program not only introduced a new weapon for controlling cattle diseases, but also freed the industry from restrictive quarantines, thus increasing the value of cattle throughout the U.S.” 
 
Historic First Baptist Church of Bishop, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Rev. J. B. Bruce of Kingsville and seven organizers met with forty applicants on January 29, 1911, in Moser Hall in downtown Bishop to establish a missionary Baptist church. The congregation called the Rev. B. F. Goodwin as a temporary pastor. He held two services a month for a salary of $400 per year, supplementing his income with carpentry work. The Missionary Baptist Church of Bishop borrowed $13,000 from the Baptist Home Mission Board in 1912 for its first building as the town grew and church membership expanded rapidly. The new structure featured a stained glass window given by F. Z., Mary and A. E. Bishop in memory of their parents. The 1916 hurricane was among several natural disasters endured by the people of Bishop and the congregants of the Baptist church. Moser Hall, an ecumenical meeting space located on the second floor of a downtown building, was destroyed in that storm. In time the congregation outgrew its 1912 facility and dedicated a new sanctuary just west of the older site in 1949. An east wing was added in 1952 and a west wing in 1958. The structure was remodeled in 1970 and 1974, and extensively renovated in 1986 in anticipation of the congregation's Diamond Jubilee celebration. The First Baptist Church of Bishop continues in the traditions of its founders through missions such as the Iglesia Bautista, constituted as a church in 1996; community service such as the Share Center, where clothing and Bible study are made available to area citizens; worship; and religious education.” 311 East 5th Street.
 
Historic First United Methodist Church of Bishop, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Rev. Alton T. White, pastor at nearby Calallen, met with Methodists in the Bishop Town Hall to organize a Methodist Episcopal Church on November 12, 1911. Mrs. B. G. Bishop, Mrs. J. B. Butts, J. H. Herron, Mrs. Althea McClane, Mr. and Mrs. Reinhold Moser, Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Starrett, and Maude and Blanche Starrett were among the charter members. The congregation received the Rev. P. L. Pyle as its first pastor. In 1912, with fewer than 50 members, they set up a building program with L. E. Appleby, Mrs. f. Z. Bishop, J. H. Herron and R. Moser as the building committee. Though city founder F. Z. Bishop gave town lots for each denomination, the building committee agreed that the designated Methodist church lot was too far from the central business district. They exchanged the land for lots just south of Main Street. The groundbreaking took place in December 1912. The church was free of debt within nine years despite the ravages of drought and hurricane. A new building fund committee began its work in 1952. Two years later, church trustees bought a block of property facing Sixth Street on the north side. A large part of the land was a gift from church members in honor of their parents. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on October 27, 1955. The erection of the new edifice took more than a year to complete and included a sanctuary with a seating capacity of more than 400. By the end of 1966, membership had reached 586. The new building was declared free of debt and dedicated on December 14, 1969. The First United Methodist Church of Bishop continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of service and worship.” 804 East 6th Street.   
 
Nueces County Public Library, Bishop Branch:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 12 noon-5pm; closed Fri-Sun. (361) 584-2222. 115 South Ash Street.
 
Bishop Community Action Center:
This non-profit organization offers program to disadvantaged children, youth and adults including Head Start programs, weatherization of homes, emergency food, utility assistance, rental assistance, notary services, and information and referrals. (361) 584-2490. This center is located at 102 W. Joyce Street, Bishop, Texas 78343.