Contact
 
 
Counties
Travis, Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 790,390
2000 Census - 656,562
Nearby
Towns
Austin, Texas
null
Austin Texas History:
In the early 1830s, the community of Waterloo was established near the confluence of the Colorado River and Shoal Creek. In 1839, the Republic of Texas established the town of Austin near the present day Congress Avenue Bridge to serve as the permanent capital of Texas. It was named after Stephen F. Austin, the founder of Anglo American Texas. The site committee purchased 7,735 acres along the Colorado River comprising the hamlet of Waterloo and adjacent lands. Edwin Waller platted Austin on a 640 acre site along the Colorado River, between Shoal and Waller Creeks. A 14 block grid was bisected by Congress Avenue which extended north to the future site of the Texas State Capitol building & square. Four other squares were platted for use as parks and included Wooldridge Square (900 Guadalupe Street), Republic Square (422 Guadalupe), Brush Square (409 E. 5th Street), and the square at 9th and Neches Streets. This latter square was later sold to private interests and is now occupied by the First Baptist Church. North-south streets were named after Texas Rivers, and east-west streets were named after trees. Town lots were sold at auction on August 1, 1939 at Republic Square under what became known as the Auction Oaks. Austin incorporated on December 27, 1839. By 1840, the town had 856 residents. The Houston and Texas Central Railway arrived in 1871, transforming Austin into a trading Center. The town received gas street lamps in 1874, the first streetcar line in 1875, and the first elevated bridge across the Colorado River in approximately 1876. In 1872, Austin was elected the Texas state capital. Tillotson Collegiate and Normal Institute opened in 1881. University of Texas opened in 1883, and St. Edward’s College was chartered in 1885. The Austin Dam (now Tom Miller) was completed in 1893; the resulting lake was named McDonald Lake (now Lake Austin). By 1895, the dam generated electricity was powering the four year old electric streetcar line, the city’s new water and light systems, and the 31 moonlight towers. The McDonald Lake dam washed away in the 1909 flood. The new Austin Dam was completed in 1940 and renamed the Tom Miller Dam. In 1942 the Del Valle Army Air Base was established. It was later renamed the Bergstrom Air Force Base and remained open until 1993. It is now the site of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Austin is the 4th largest city in Texas and the 13th largest city in the United States. Austin is billed as the “Live Music Capital of the World.” “Keep Austin Weird” is the town’s popular slogan. The town abides by a No-Kill pet policy. In 2011, Second Street between Trinity and San Antonio Streets was renamed Willie Nelson Boulevard. Austin is located on IH-35, U.S. 290, U.S. 183, and SH 71, 80 miles northeast of San Antonio, 32 miles northeast of San Marcos, 162 miles west of Houston, 192 miles south of Dallas, 19.6 miles south of Round Rock, and 22 miles west of Lake Travis and Lakeway, Texas.  
 
War Memorials: 
A Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located at the northeast corner of the intersection of IH-35 and Cesar Chavez Street (1st Street). Parking is available at the Emmanuel Methodist Church and the Austin Terrazas Branch Library. The memorial was established by the East Austin Lions Club in the 1970’s. A Korean War Memorial, and a memorial to those killed in Beirut, Lebanon on 23 October 1983 are located at Waterloo Park at 1209 Red River Street, 78701. Texas State Cemetery War Memorials include the Confederate burial field, a World War II Memorial, the “Nine Men of Praha” Memorial dedicated to an entire generation of men from Praha, Texas who died in World War II, a Men and Women’s Wounded in War Memorial, the Purple Heart Monument, a World War II Monument and a cenotaph dedicated to Medal of Honor recipient Jack Lummus, a 9/11 Monument, a Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the TSDAR Patriot Monument dedicated to 32 veterans of the American Revolution, a monument dedicated to the Gold Star Mothers of Texas who lost sons and daughters in wars, and the Medal of Honor Monument dedicated to all who received the Medal, and the nearby gravesites of 5 Texas men who received the Medal of Honor. The 2014 Vietnam Veterans Monument at the Texas State Capitol is dedicated to all those who served in Vietnam. A set of hand embossed dog tags honoring each of the 3,417 Texans killed or MIA in Vietnam is buried in a vintage ammunition can within the monument. A second set is displayed in alphabetical order at the Texas Vietnam Heroes Exhibit. The Exhibit also displays two blank tags to honor the unknown soldiers who died in Vietnam. The tags hang freely on chains so visitors can touch them. The Texas Heroes Exhibit was displayed at the LBJ Presidential Library before it began traveling throughout Texas.
 
Travis County Courthouse, 1930:
This limestone, concrete and steel courthouse was designed in modern style. Additions were added in 1959 and 1962. The beautiful 1876 courthouse was razed. The 1930 courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 1010 Travis County census was 1,024,266. The courthouse is located at 324 W. 11th Street, 78701.