2000 Census - 14,166
Addison Texas History:
The Peters Colony, a group of English and American investors, first settled the area in the 1840s. Early prominent settlers included Preston and Pleasant Witt who built an ox-powered gristmill on White Rock Creek in 1849. The town of Addison got its start in 1888 when W. W. Julian, W. E. Horten and S. S. Noell donated a right-of-way to the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway in exchange the railroad establishing a train coaling station at the site. The station was named Noell Junction. Businesses and residents from nearby by Frankfort moved to the Noell Junction to be closer to the railroad. In 1902, the St. Louis Southwestern built a depot in the community and established a spur line to Dallas. In 1904, the Addison post office was established and six city blocks were platted. Addison incorporated in 1953 in an effort to avoid annexation by Dallas. By the mid-1950, Addison had approximately 600 residents and eight businesses. In 1970, the town had eighty businesses and 595 businesses. Within ten years it had 5,553 residents. Today, Addison has several manufacturing businesses, and isa large business center with approximately 100,000 workers commuting to Addison each day. The town established a wireless internet network in 2005; fees are nominal. Addison Circle Park is located in the upscale Addison Circle business and residential district, and is the site of many community events. This beautiful district features streets lined with red brick buildings, some small park areas with and without fountains, and mature trees. The town offers 118 acres of upscale parks, and plants 75,000 tulip bulbs every spring. Addison has recently completed a study of EarthKind Roses Trial Gardens in conjunction with Texas A & M. Rose gardens are located in Les Loc Linear Park, and Quorum Park. The Addison Airport offers 7,200 feet of runway, and is the third largest general aviation airport in the country. The Colonnade Office Complex is probably the most stunning building complex in Addison. Addison is bordered by Richardson on the east, University Park on the south, Farmers Branch to the southwest, and Carrollton to the west. Addison is located on Belt Line Road at the intersections of the Dallas North Tollway, U.S. 635 (LBJ Freeway) and U.S. 289, 1 mile from the Dallas Galleria, 16 miles northeast of DFW Airport, 11 miles north of Love Field Airport, 42 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 20.5 miles northeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 41 miles southeast of Pilot Point and Lake Ray Roberts, 29 miles southeast of Denton, 14 miles southeast of Lewisville and Lewisville Lake, 14 miles south of Frisco, 23.6 miles southwest of McKinney, 24.8 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 41 miles northwest of Terrell, 25 miles northwest of Rowlett and Lake Ray Hubbard, 22.3 miles northwest of Mesquite, 14 miles northwest of Garland, 41.6 miles north of Waxahachie, 14 miles north of Dallas, 38 miles northeast of Midlothian, and 30 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Joe Pool Lake, and 24 miles northeast of Mountain Creek Lake and Grand Prairie, Texas.
Wireless Internet Access:
This service is available throughout most of the town. Residents may sign up for the service at the Addison Conference Centre, and at the WaterTower Theatre Centre. Hourly, daily, and monthly plans are available to residents for a nominal fee. 15650 Addison Road. (972) 450-6230.
Addison Circle Area, 80 Acres:
This is a popular mixed use residential, commercial and business area. This planned development has been an extremely successful venture of developers, the landowner, and the Town of Addison. The development includes over 3,000 residential units intermixed with neighborhood retail stores, parks, civic space, and over 4 million square feet of office space. Its most famous feature is Blueprints, a four story, 140 foot wide blue art piece located in the Center of the 140 foot wide Addison Circle roundabout at Quorum Drive. 4970 Addison Circle, 75001.