Contact
 
 
County
Austin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Nearby
Parks
Stephen F. Austin Texas State Park
null
Stephen F. Austin State Park Information:   
The 663.3 acre state park was deeded to TPWD by the San Felipe de Austin Corporation in 1940 and opened to the public the same year. Twelve acres of the original parkland on the eastern edge of the park and golf course were set aside for the San Felipe State Historic Site. The 12 acres are located on the Brazos River, near the old ferry site, and near the Commercio Plaza de San Felipe of the town of San Felipe. The forested state park is bordered on the north and east by the Brazos River. The higher ground mostly consists of Pecan trees, while the river bottom has predominately hackberry and cottonwoods.The park is a great birding site. The nesting pileated woodpeckers are a favorite attraction. Other bird species include barred owl, warblers, yellow-billed cuckoo, white-eyed vireo, Mississippi kite, and northern parula. Other wildlife includes armadillos, racoons, opossums, rabbits, squirrels, bobcats, and white-tailed deer. During May and June an abundance of fireflies are present in the evenings. Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more park information read the Stephen F. Austin State Park & San Felipe De Austin State Historic Site History Guide, the Stephen F. Austin State Park Brochure, and watch the Park VideoFrom Houston, go west on IH-10. Just before Sealy, Texas, turn right (north) on FM 1458, then turn left on Park Road 38. 
 
San Felipe State Historic Site Information:
The Stephen F. Austin State Park opened in 1940 on 663.3 acres of land donated by the San Felipe de Austin Corporation. When the state park was being developed, twelve acres of park land were set aside for the San Felipe State Historic Site. These acres are located on the Brazos River near the old ferry site and the Commercio Plaza de San Felipe in the old town of San Felipe, the site where Stephen F. Austin’s established his "Old Three Hundred” Colony. From 1824 to 1836, San Felipe was the capital of the American Texas Colonies, and the site of the 1832 and 1833 conventions held to outline the reforms being requested from the Mexican government. The 1833 convention also formed a draft constitution (similar to the U.S. Constitution). After both conventions, Stephen F. Austin carried the reform petitions to Mexico City, but both were rejected by the Mexican Government. At the July 14, 1835 convention, the men drafted the Consultation of San Felipe. The document established the Provisional Government of Texas, and eventually led to the Texas Revolution. In addition to being the home of Stephen F. Austin and other famous early Texans, both the Texas postal system and the Texas Rangers were established in San Felipe. Facilities include the restored 1817 J.J. Josey store (now a museum with exhibits and displays of pioneer artifacts), a reproduction of Stephen F. Austin's log cabin, and the original well dug by Austin's colony of settlers. Many monuments and historical markers are located onsite, including a statue of Stephen F. Austin and a commemorative obelisk. The Visitor Center is ADA compliant. Crushed granite paths lead to the Visitor Center and the log Cabin. Leashed dogs are permitted. Group tours and special programs and events are offered on Saturdays and Sundays, 9am-5pm. Tours last 30 minutes to an hour. Volunteer positions are available. The historic site is located on the eastern edge of the Stephen F. Austin State Park and golf course at 15945 FM 1458, San Felipe, Texas 77473. (979) 798-2202. For more park information, read the Park Brochure, and read the Stephen F. Austin State Park & San Felipe De Austin State Historic Site History Guide.
 
Brazos River:  
The Brazos River rises at the confluence of its Salt Fork and Double Mountain Fork near the eastern boundary of Stonewall County in the Texas Panhandle Plains Region. It flows 840 miles across Texas to its mouth on the Gulf of Mexico, two miles south of Freeport in Brazoria County. The two forks rise 150 miles above the confluence, thus forming a continuous 1,050 mile long watershed, making it the longest river in Texas. The Brazos has seven principal tributaries, including the Salt and Double Mountain forks. The others are the Clear Fork, the Bosque and Little rivers, Yegua Creek, and the Navasota River which joins the Brazos River six miles southwest of Navasota in southwestern Grimes County. In addition, there are fifteen sub tributaries within the watershed, the most important being the Leon River, a tributary of the Little River. Although the Brazos was well known to Spanish explorers and missionaries who described the Indians located along its banks, the first permanent settlements on the river were made by Anglo-Americans. John McFarland, one of the Old Three Hundred, founded San Felipe de Austin at the Atascosito Crossing of the Brazos. The town became the colonial capital of Texas. Velasco, the site of the first colonial resistance to Mexican authority, is located on the River as are Columbia and Washington-on-the-Brazos, two of the first seats of government of the Republic of Texas. Originally, the Brazos was navigable for 250 miles from the Gulf of Mexico to the town of Washington. It was an important waterway before the Civil War, and efforts to improve it for navigation continued until the early twentieth century. Important cities in the Brazos watershed are Lubbock, Graham, Waco, Temple, Belton, Freeport and Galveston. Houston abuts the region along the Fort Bend and Brazoria County lines. The most important lakes on the Brazos River are Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Whitney.
Fish Stocking History 
Brazos River Canoeing Maps below Possum Kingdom Lake 
Brazos River Canoeing Map below Lake Granbury 
 
Stephen F. Austin State Park Directions:   
From Houston, go west on IH-10. Just before Sealy, Texas, turn right (north) on FM 1458, then turn left on Park Road 38.