Hill Country
2010 Census - 1,739
2000 Census - 1,505
Blanco, Texas
Blanco Texas History:
In 1853, pioneer stockmen built cabins along the Blanco River at the present site of Blanco. In 1854, the Pittsburgh Land Company platted the town of Pittsburg across the river from current day Blanco. In 1858, the stockmen’s settlement was elected county seat of the newly formed Blanco County and was given the name Blanco. The Pittsburgh Land Company donated 120 acres of land for the new Blanco townsite. The Blanco post office was established in 1858. The first courthouse was built on the public square by A. V. Gates for approximately $600. By 1870, Blanco had four stores, a hotel and a gin. The 1871 Union Church remained the center of town life for many years. Their church building used as a church by different denominations, as a schoolhouse, and as a community meeting place. The 1875 limestone courthouse was built by Frederick E. and Oscar Ruffini. In 1876, a fire destroyed the Masonic lodge, the old courthouse, and all of the county records. The courthouse was rebuilt and completed in 1886. In 1890, Johnson City was elected the new Blanco County seat. Blanco has primarily been a commercial center for area farmers and ranchers. It had a population of 469 in 1904, and 1,100 residents by 1939 when the town was incorporated. Blanco is known for its lavender fields which bloom May through July throughout Blanco County. Unfortunately, the 2011 draught destroyed many of the lavender fields. Blanco and Blanco State Park are located on the Blanco River at the intersection of U.S. 281 (Main Street) and FM 1623, 48 miles south of Lake LBJ and Kingsland, 14 miles south of Johnson City, 36 miles southwest of Lake Marble Falls and the city of Marble Falls, 47 miles southwest of Lake Travis and the City of Lakeway, 50 miles southwest of Austin, 26.6 miles southwest of Dripping Springs, 25.6 miles northwest of Wimberley, 13.5 miles northwest of Canyon Lake and the City of Fischer, 16.4 miles north of Guadalupe River State Park and Spring Branch, 16 miles northeast of Sisterdale, 42 miles northeast of Comfort, 35 miles southeast of Fredericksburg, 23 miles southeast of Luckenbach, 14.6 miles southeast of Albert, approximately 12 miles southeast of Hye, and approximately 21 miles southeast of Stonewall, Texas. 
Old Blanco County Courthouse, 1886:
The courthouse was designed by architect F. E. Ruffini in second empire style. It is similar to the courthouses in Sonora and Paint Rock. This courthouse was used for over five years before the county seat was moved to Johnson City in 1890. Today the courthouse houses the Blanco Museum of the Early West and the Blanco Visitor Center. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Blanco Market Days are held on the courthouse square. The courthouse is available for private and public events. Open Tue-Sun, 10am-4pm. (830) 833-2211. The courthouse is located on the downtown square at 4th and Main Streets (U.S. 281). Email    

Old Blanco County Jail, 1877:
The jail was used until 1890 when the county seat was moved to Johnson City. The jail features two small barred windows and an iron ring used to chain unruly prisoners. The steel jail cells were moved to the jail in Johnson City. The jail is located behind the commercial buildings on the west side of the Blanco county square.