Gulf Coast
2010 Census - 118,298
2000 Census - 113,866
Beaumont, Texas
Beaumont Texas History:
In 1824, Noah and Nancy Tevis established a farm on the west bank of the Neches River. The settlement that grew up around the farm was known as Tevis Bluff or Neches River Settlement. In 1835, Henry Millard, Joseph Pulsifer and Thomas B Huling developed a townsite on land purchased from the Tevises. This new settlement, Tevis Bluff and the nearby Santa Anna community part of the new town named Beaumont. In 1838, Beaumont became the county seat of the newly formed Jefferson County. During the town’s early years it was a commercial center for area farmers and cattle ranchers. By the late 1800s it had an active river port and became an important lumber and rice milling town. In the early 1900s the town had over 9,000 residents and was served by several railroads. Beaumont is well known for the 1901 Spindletop oil gusher which caused the town’s population to explode to over 20,000 residents by 1910. Gulf Oil, Humble Oil (later Exxon), and the Texas Company (later Texaco) were formed in Beaumont during the first year of the oil boom. The Magnolia refinery (Mobile Oil) became Beaumont’s largest employer. In 1908 a channel was dug on the Neches River between Port Arthur and Beaumont; by the 1970s Beaumont was a major port. Like many Texas towns, the downtown area is undergoing a facelift; black iron streetlights are being added to Calder Avenue, the main street, and brick sidewalks are replacing the cement ones. Orange, Beaumont, and Port Arthur are referred to as the “Golden Triangle Area.” Beaumont is located at the intersections of IH-10, U.S. 69/96, U.S. 287, U.S. 90, SH 105, SH 12 and SH 93, 21.6 miles northwest of Port Arthur, 34.8 miles northwest of Sabine Pass, 66 miles northeast of Smith Point, 46 miles northeast of Anahuac, 24.5 miles northeast of Winnie, 20 miles slightly southeast of Sour Lake, 15 miles south of Lumberton, 21 miles south of Silsbee, 70 miles south of Jasper, 36 miles southwest of Buna, 51 miles southwest of Kirbyville, 20.6 miles southwest of Mauriceville, 29 northwest of Bridge City, and 30 miles west of the Louisiana state line and Orange, Texas.
Port of Beaumont:
This port is one of the busiest ports in the United States. It is accessible from the Gulf of Mexico, the Intracoastal Waterway, and Port Arthur via the Sabine-Neches (River) Ship Channel, 45 miles upstream from the Gulf. The observation deck on top of the Harbor Island Transit Warehouse provides visitors with a view of the huge ships arriving and departing, and taking on and unloading cargo. Guided daily tours are available. Open daily 8:30am-12 noon, and 1pm-4:30pm. (409) 832-1546. Main Office: (409) 835-5367. Dock Office: (409) 835-3995. 1225 Main Street, Beaumont. 
Jefferson County Courthouse, 1931:
The stone and brick courthouse was designed in art deco style by architects A. Babin and Fred Stone. In 1981, an addition was added to the north side of the courthouse. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Jefferson County Census was 252,273. The courthouse is located at Ford Park. (409) 835-8400.1149 Pearl Street, Beaumont, Texas 77701. 
Historic Temple to the Brave at Pipkin Park, 1932:
This memorial building features a steep pitched roof that once was made of shingles from the Jefferson County Courthouse. There are three stained glass windows, and the wooden doors are fitted with wrought iron hinges and hardware. The Daughters of the American Revolution erected this building as a memorial to those who died in World War I. The building sits in a large open space in Pipkin Park, near the Jefferson County Courthouse. The temple is open to the public on military holidays. A Texas Historical Marker is in place. A veteran’s memorial dedicated to all veterans of all wars is also located within the park. A separate park features a creative play area. The park is located on the Neches River overlooking the Port of Beaumont. 1350 Pennsylvania Street.  
Bab Zaharias Park:
This park is home to the Babe Zaharias Memorial, a war memorial, the Desert Storm Memorial, a jet plane, the memorial to the Challenger astronauts, restrooms, soccer fields and a 1.4 mile trail, and the Babe Dickerson Zaharias Museum and Beaumont Visitor Center. (409) 861-1929. The park and museum are located at 1750 IH-10 and MLK Parkway, Exit 854, 77704.