Brackettville Texas History:
In 1852, Oscar B. Brackett established the first general dry goods store on the San Antonio-El Paso Road near the site of Fort Clark. The settlement was initially called Brackett, and was renamed Brackettville when the 1873 post office was established. By 1857, Mr. Sheedy’s Sargent Hotel and Café were a regular stop for the stage line. Like most early West Texas towns, Brackett was routinely threatened by Indians. After the Civil War (1861-1865), cattle ranchers and buffalo hunters moved into the area. Brackettville became the Kinney County seat in 1876. The town’s growth was hurt when the Gulf, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built a line ten miles south of the town in 1882. In 1884, Brackettville had approximately 1,000 residents and was a shipping point for wool and hides. After disastrous floods in 1882 and 1889, the town moved to higher ground. Brackettville incorporated in 1930. Today the town’s economy is based on ranching, agriculture, and tourism from Kickapoo Caverns State Park and the restored Fort Clark. Alamo Village is a replica of the Alamo that was built as a movie set. It was a huge tourist attraction until it closed. Brackettville is located west of the Nueces River and 22 miles northeast of the Rio Grande River at the intersection of U.S. 90 and SH 131, 62 miles southeast of Comstock, 30 miles southeast of Del Rio, 61 miles southwest of Rocksprings, 63 miles southwest of Concan, 39.8 miles northwest of Uvalde, 45.7 miles northeast of Eagle Pass, and 170 miles northwest of Laredo, Texas.
Kinney County Courthouse, 1878-1879:
After completion of the 1911 courthouse, this courthouse housed the Las Moras Masonic Lodge. The first floor served as a post office from 1918 to 1983.
Kinney County Jail, 1884-1885:
At the time of its construction, the jail was the finest stone building ever built in Kinney County. The jail was designed in gothic revival style by the architectural firm of Wahrenberger and Beckman of San Antonio. This building served as the jail until 1976.