Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 42
Nearby
Towns
Ammannsville, Texas
null
Ammannsville, Texas History:
Andrew Ammann settled in the area in March, 1870. He was soon followed by other German and Czech farmers. By 1889, the town had a few businesses, a public school and a post office. The post office closed in 1906 when mail was rerouted through Weimar, Texas. Currently, the mail is routed through nearby Schulenburg. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and school opened in 1890 with Father Jules Vrana as priest. In 1900, Ammannsville had three stores and saloons, two blacksmith shops, a drug store, a physician, and two cotton gins. By 1914 the area had 800 residents with approximately 100 living in town. Today the community consists of the St. John the Baptist Church, the KJT Hall, an old cotton gin and approximately 40 residents. Ammannsville is located approximately 8 miles north of IH-10 on FM 1383, 12 miles northwest of Weimar, 6 miles north of Dubina, 13 miles northeast of Schulenburg, 12 miles northeast of High Hill, and 12.5 miles south of La Grange, Texas.
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
The church was destroyed by the 1909 hurricane. It was rebuilt in 1910, destroyed by fire in 1917, and again rebuilt in 1919. This wood church was designed and built by architect John F. Bujnoch in Gothic Revival style.  was painted by painter Fred Donecker who also painted the Catholic Church in Moravia.
 
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Built 1919, Painted 1919:
The original St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and school opened in 1890 with Father Jules Vrana as priest. It was destroyed by a hurricane in 1909 and was rebuilt. The rebuilt church was destroyed by fire in 1917. In 1919 the third wood church was designed and built by architect John F. Bujnoch in Gothic Revival style, and painted by painter Fred Donecker who also painted the Catholic Church in Moravia. Dielmann also designed the High Hill and Dubina Painted Churches. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Mass is held during odd months at 9:30am on Sundays. It is held on Sundays at 8am during even months. Confession is scheduled 30 minutes before each mass. The annual church picnic is held at the KJT Hall on Father’s Day. The church is located 4 miles east of U.S. 77 at 7745 Mensik Road (FM 1383), Ammannsville, Texas 78956. The mail address is Schulenburg, Texas 78945.
 
KJT Hall, 1923:
The Katolicka Jednota Texaska is a Catholic men’s fraternal organization. The Ammannsville KJT Hall is located on the former site of Henry Hoelster’s saloon. The lodge still serves as a social venue, hosting dances, live music, weddings, reunions and other community activities. The St. John the Baptist Catholic Church holds their annual Father’s Day picnic at the lodge. The hall is located in Ammannsville.
 
Sengelmann Dance Hall & Restaurant, 1890s, Schulenburg:
The building has been beautifully restored and reopened in 2009. It features the original 115 year old, long leaf pine dance floor, a restaurant, saloon, biergarten, and a Czech bakery. The restaurant and biergarten offer live music and dancing Thursday through Saturday. Many well-known musicians have played here including Billy Joe Shaver, Cory Morrow, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Asleep at the Wheel, Billy Mata, Bobby Flores, and others. The hall hosts live music and Big Dance Shows. The restaurant is open Wed-Thu, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9pm; Fri, 11am-2:30pm and 5pm-9:30pm; Sat, 11am-9:30pm. The saloon is open Wed-Thu until 11pm; Fri until 11:30pm. Hours are seasonal. The dance hall is not necessarily open every weekend. If you are driving a long distance, call to verify hours before arriving. The restaurant, saloon and biergarten are available for private parties. (979) 743-2300. The dance hall is located at 531 North Main Street in Schulenburg. Facebook