Contact
 
 
Counties
Potter, Randall
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 190,695
2000 Census - 173,627
Nearby
Towns
Amarillo, Texas
null
Amarillo Texas History:
In 1887, the Fort Worth and Denver Railway announced it was building a line through the Texas Panhandle. Colorado City merchants wanted to establish a town and stores at a logical stop on the railroad that would be chosen as the new Potter County Seat. That stop was the geographical center of the county near the LX Ranch. J.T. Berry arrived to plat the town of Oneida, and because most voters were LT ranch hands, he and the town promoters promised each ranch a commercial and a residential lot if they voted Oneida the county seat. After Oneida won, it was promptly renamed Amarillo. The railroad arrived shortly after the election, and Amarillo immediately became a booming cattle shipping center. The post office was established in 1887. In May of 1888, prospective buyers were brought in by train, and town lots were sold at auction. Amarillo was doing well, but Henry B. Sanborn, part owner of the Frying Pan Ranch, argued that Berry's Amarillo site was on low ground that would flood during rainstorms. In June 1888, Sanborn and his partner purchased four sections of land on higher ground near present day Polk Street, now Abilene’s main commercial street. They offered lot owners the option of trading their lots in the old section for lots in the new section, and promised to contribute to moving expenses. Some people moved to the new section. After a spring flood in 1889, more people moved to the new higher location. The first annual Tri-State Fair was held in Amarillo in the fall of 1899. By 1890, Amarillo was one of the world's busiest cattle-shipping points. The population grew from 482 in 1890 to 1,442 by 1900. Two other railroads began providing service to Amarillo by 1903, and by 1910, the town had 9,957 residents. Gas was discovered in 1918 and oil three years later. After the 1928 discovery of the Cliffside gas field, with its high helium content, the Federal Bureau of Mines established the United States Helium Plant four miles west of town. The town continued to prosper and over the years added institutions of higher education and cultural facilities to its list of assets. Amarillo’s public art includes painted horses.     Today, major industries include oil, petroleum, petrochemicals, agriculture and cattle. In 1988, Amarillo was the home of the world's largest feeder-cattle auction and headquarters of the American Quarter Horse Association. Amarillo is located at the intersections of U.S. 60, U.S. 87, U.S. 285, IH-27, IH-40, and several state highways, 48 miles northeast of Hereford, 36 miles slightly southeast of Vega, 85 miles southeast of Dalhart, 55 miles southwest of Pampa, 47 miles southeast of Dumas, 36 miles southwest of Fritch, 28 miles southwest of Panhandle, 67 miles west of Alanreed, 60 miles northwest of Clarendon, 29.8 miles northwest of Claude, 52 miles north of Tulia, 69 miles northeast of Dimmitt, and 18.6 miles northeast of Canyon, Texas.

Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map

Texas Panhandle War Memorial:
The memorial commemorates all Panhandle veterans who served in the Military. The circular garden is planted with red, white and blue flowers and is maintained by the local Potter-Randall County Master Gardners. Large granite monoliths describe each war. The granite tablets list the names of those who died or are missing in action. Flags include the American, Texas and POW flags. The memorial is located at the intersection of IH-27 and Georgia Street, adjacent to the Randall County Annex building. (806) 353-8796. 4101 South Georgia Avenue, 79110. Email  Facebook  
 
Texas Travel Information Center Amarillo:
Texas Travel Centers are managed by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDot). All are staffed by professional travel counselors who help travelers with routings and provide information on points of interest, events, and road conditions. Center amenities include and air-conditioned lobby and restrooms, diaper changing stations, drinking water, a group picnic facility, interpretive displays, pamphlets and maps, TXTag sales, picnic tables, a professional travel counselor, security surveillance, truck and passenger parking, vending machines, a video theatre, weather information, and free wireless internet access. Fall foliage and spring wildflower information is provided seasonally. Restrooms are open 24 hours daily. Call (806) 335-1411 daily from 8am-6pm. Road conditions are available 24 hours a day by calling (800) 452-9292. The center is open daily, 8am-6pm. Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, the day before Christmas, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. The center is located on east bound IH-40 (9700 E. IH-40) at milepost 76, east of Amarillo, Texas. 
                      
Potter County Courthouse, 1932:
This concrete and terra cotta courthouse was designed in Art Deco style by architects W.C. Townes of the architectural firm of Townes, Lightfoot and Funk of Amarillo. The courthouse is located on Taylor Street.  
 
Potter County Courthouse, 1984-1986:
This concrete and steel courthouse was designed by architects Hucker and Parge, and Ward-Brown Associates. The 2010 Potter County census was 121,073. (806) 379-2246. 900 South Polk Street, Amarillo, Texas 79101.