Contact
 
 
County
Johnson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 3,785
2000 Census - 4,289
Nearby
Towns
Alvarado, Texas
null
Alvarado Texas History:
During the winter of 1849, William Balch established a claim near an old Indian trail. His family left before spring, but returned in 1851. In 1853, Balch and G.H. Sigler platted half-acre town lots. The Alvarado post office was established in 1854 when Alvarado had an estimated 100 families, four churches, over 10 businesses, and a Masonic lodge. In 1881, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad, and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad built lines through town. Residents incorporated in 1885 when Alvarado had over 1,000 residents. Alvarado is the oldest town in Johnson County, and was one of the few small Texas towns that grew during the Great Depression. Alvarado is located at the intersections of IH-35W (Old U.S. 81), U.S. 67 (Henderson Street), FM 1807 and FM 3136, 43 miles southeast of Granbury, 32 miles southeast of White Settlement, 29 miles southeast of Benbrook, 24 miles southeast of Fort Worth, 12 miles southeast of Burleson, 42 miles southwest of Dallas, 36 miles southwest of Arlington, 35 miles southwest of Grand Prairie, 23 miles southwest of Cedar Hill, 28 miles west of Waxahachie, 30 miles northwest of Hillsboro, 38 miles northeast of Glen Rose, 12 miles northeast of Cleburne, Texas.