Tom Green
Panhandle Plains
San Angelo Texas State Park
San Angelo State Park Information:
This 7,677 acre park is located above the dam on the south shore of the O.C. Fisher Reservoir. The lake was created in 1952 by damming the North Concho River. The parkland was leased by the TPWD in 1995, and opened to the public the same year. Most of the acreage will remain undeveloped. The park is located in "Concho Country," an area known for the large numbers of freshwater mussels that inhabit the area's rivers and streams. These mussels produce beautiful gems of all sizes and colors, and were called Concho Pearls by the early Spanish explorers. Sitting at the junction of four ecological zones, the park offers an abundant variety of birds, animal life and plants. The park is home to Bison (ask a park ranger for current pasture location), prairie dog towns in the north and south sections of the park, and a portion of the Official Texas State Longhorn Herd. Interesting sites include the prehistoric Indian Village, dinosaur footprints, the large white cross on Big Hill, Bell’s Point Scenic Overlook, a pioneer's gravesite at Macey's Ridge, Cougar Outlook, Highland Range Scenic Overlook, and the rock seats and rock table located on the Flintstone Village Trail. Park entrance and camping fees apply. The park is located on Arden Road (FM 853) and FM 2288 on the southwest city limits of San Angelo. Park entrances are located on FM 2288, FM 853, U.S. 87, and Mercedes Street. . For more park information,watch the Park Video.
O.C. Fisher Reservoir Information:
This 5,440 surface acre lake was impounded in 1953 on the North Concho River. It has a maximum depth of 58 feet. Predominant fish species include largemouth bass, white bass, channel, blue and flathead catfish, and white crappie. The San Angelo State Park lands surround the lake. The lake is managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and is located on FM 2288 and Arden Road on the northwest city limits of San Angelo.
O.C. Fisher Reservoir Location Map 
Current O.C. Fisher Reservoir Lake Level 
San Angelo Clear Sky Chart
Official Texas State Longhorn Herd:
In 1936, Fort Worth businessman Sid Richardson believed Texas was about to lose the Texas Longhorn. He believed the longhorns were closer to extinction that the buffalo. He discussed this issue with Texas Historian J. Frank Dobie of Austin, Texas. The two reached an arrangement to establish a Texas State Longhorn herd. Richardson would provide the funding and Dobie would find and select the longhorns. Dobie enlisted the help of longtime cattle detector, rancher and longhorn raiser, Graves Peeler. They traveled throughout South Texas selecting 20 head. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department volunteered to protect and preserve the herd. The longhorns were initially placed at Lake Corpus Christi State Park. Richardson then asked Dobie and Peeler to locate another herd. It was difficult to find more quality longhorns. Dobie and Peeler had to drive hundreds of miles on both sides of the Rio Grande River. By the end of 1942, they had located a few more and these were placed at Lake Brownwood State Park. By 1948, the longhorns had been removed from Brownwood and Christi State Parks. Twenty one longhorns had been relocated to Fort Griffin State Park (now Fort Griffin State Historic Site), and the remaining longhorns were sold. The longhorns have been one of Fort Griffin’s greatest assets, attracting visitors from all over the world. Since 1948, Fort Griffin has been the official home and manager of the herd. Fort Griffin places longhorns in other state parks for exhibition, range management, and breeding purposes. Currently, portions of the herd are located at Copper Breaks State Park, Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and San Angelo State Park. Big Bend Ranch State Park has a longhorn herd that is part of its legacy, but their herd is not a part of the Official Texas State Longhorn Herd.
San Angelo State Park Directions:   
The park is located on the south side of the lake above the dam. There are several entrances to the park, including FM 2288, FM 853, U.S. 87, and Mercedes Street (off of FM 853).
South Shore Entrance: From San Angelo, take U.S. 67 South to FM 2288.
North Shore Entrance: From San Angelo, take U.S. 87 North to FM 2288.