Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 13,251
2000 Census - 14,302
Borger, Texas
Borger Texas History:
Oil was discovered in the Borger area in 1926. In March of that year, Ace Borger and attorney John R. Miller purchased 240 acres and established the town of Borger near the Canadian River. By July, over 45,000 people had moved to the townsite. That same year, the Borger post office was established, the town incorporated and received telephone and electric services, and the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway completed a spur line to Borger. Until water wells were drilled, residents got their water from a water wagon. The oil field attracted unsavory individuals and criminals, and the town ended up controlled by an organized crime syndicate led by Mayor Miller's shady associate, "Two-Gun Dick" Herwig. The center of vice was Dixon Street (now 10th Street), and its brothels, dance halls, speakeasies and gambling halls. Illegal stills and home breweries flourished. In the spring of 1927 Governor Daniel J. Moody sent a detachment of Texas Rangers to clean up the town. The rangers brought some stability to the town, but the lawlessness continued into1929, and ended after the murder of District Attorney John A. Holmes by an unknown assassin. The murder prompted Moody to impose martial law for a month, and to send in state troops to help rid the town of the lawless element. Today, Borger is a commercial and shipping center for agricultural produce and petroleum products. Borger is located 10 miles east of Lake Meredith at the intersections of SH’s 152, 207, 136, 246, 49 miles northeast of Amarillo, 13 miles northeast of Fritch, and 12.6 miles southwest of Stinnett, Texas.     
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map