Contact
 
 
County
Collin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 84,246
2000 Census - 43,554
Nearby
Towns
Allen, Texas
null
Allen Texas History:
Allen was established in 1870 as a stop on the Houston and Texas Central Railway. In 1872, it was named for former Texas Attorney General Ebenezer Allen, a promoter of the railroad. By 1884, Allen had approximately 350 residents. In 1908, the Texas Traction Company built an electric railway through the town. Service was discontinued in 1948. Allen’s growth is partly due to its proximity to Dallas and Plano.
Allen is located seven miles west of Lake Lavon on U.S. 75, SH 5 and SH 121, 37 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek and Joe Pool Lakes, 33 miles northeast of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 23.4 miles northeast of Dallas, 22 miles northeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 7 miles northeast of Plano, 42 miles southeast of Pilot Point and Ray Roberts Lake, 8 miles southwest of McKinney, 37 miles northwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, and 18 miles northwest of Ray Hubbard Lake and Garland, Texas.  
 
Allen Veterans Memorial:
The memorial is located in Bethany Lakes Park. Paver bricks donated. The bricks are added to the site just prior to Memorial Day and Veterans Day. 1201 E. Bethany Drive, 75002. Contacts
 
Liberty Garden:
This garden commemorates those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. 430 Roaring Springs Drive, 75002. 
  
Historic Allen Station Park & Stone Dam, 1874:
This dam was built on the property of the Houston & Central Texas Railway. The site includes the stone pump house and the former water tower’s foundation. The site is listed as a State Archaeological Landmark. The dam is located in Allen Station Park at 1120 Cedar Drive, 75002, on the northeast corner of the intersection of East Exchange Drive and the railroad tracks.