Longhorn Cavern State Park Information:
The 645 acres of parkland were acquired between 1932 and1937 from private owners. The park opened to the public 1938. Because of the cave, the park was declared a National Natural Landmark in 1971.During the 1800s, Comanches kidnapped a young women named Mariel King and held her in the cave. Three Texas Rangers rescued her. She later married Logan Van Deever, one of her rescuers. During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers used the cave’s main room as a gunpowder factory. Bat guano was used to make saltpeter for the powder. The gunpowder was stored in the small rooms located at the back of the cave. It is said that Sam Bass used the cave as a hideout in the 1870s. In the 1920s, a businessman built a wooden dance floor in the cave and opened a restaurant in a back room. The owners sold the cave to the Texas Parks Board in 1931. The CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)made many improvements to the cave. Much of the cave consisted of low crawlways, so the CCC excavated much of the fill. The original floor deposits, mud, guano and bone laden clay, were removed. The bats were driven out and no longer occupy the cave. The cave has few formations but does have nice wall sculpting and large calcite crystals. The cavern temperature is 68 degrees year round. Group hiking tours, the Wild Cave tour and special geology tours are available. Park entrance fees apply. The park is located on Park Road 4 near the town of Buchanan Dam, four miles from Inks Lake State Park. For more information read the Parks Brochure, and watch the Park Video. Longhorn Cavern State Park Facilities Map
Longhorn Cavern State Park Directions:
From Marble Falls drive north on U.S. 281 for approximately 8.5 miles; watch for the State Park signs. Go left (west) on Park Road 4, and drive 6 miles to Longhorn Cavern State Park headquarters. From Longhorn Cavern State park the road continues 4 miles to Inks Lake State Park. Burnet is another 3 miles north on U.S. 281.