Contact
 
 
County
Waller
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 4,702
2000 Census - 3,450
Nearby
Towns
Brookshire, Texas
null
Brookshire Texas History:  
The town was originally platted in 1893 by John G. Kellner, donor of the right-of-way to the railroad; he named the town Kellner; the town was later renamed Brookshire in honor of Captain Nathen Brookshire who received title to a league of land as a member of Stephen F. Austin’s fifth colony in 1835. The Brazos river bottom soil was ideal for farming. The arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad turned Brookshire into a shipping center for the cotton, melons, corn and pecans produced by area farmers. The Brookshire post office was established in 1893. Until the early 1900s, cotton was a significant crop. By 1980, the town was a center for rice, peanuts, soybeans and cattle. Brookshire is located 3 miles from the Brazos River at the intersections of U.S. 90, IH-10, FM 359 and FM 362, 25 southeast of Hempstead, 21 miles south of Waller, 37.3 miles 7.6 miles west of Katy, 33 miles northwest of Needville, 21.5 miles northwest of Rosenberg, 41 miles northeast of Wharton, 36.6 miles northeast of Columbus, 14.5 miles east of Sealy, 11.2 miles east of San Felipe, 27.4 miles southeast of Cat Spring, 28 miles southeast of Bellville, and 47.5 miles southeast of Brenham, Texas.

Historic Kellner Townsite, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“First town in area. Platted 1893 by John G. Kellner (1846-1933), donor, Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad right of way and station site. Kellner's rich Brazos River watershed farm and ranch lands produced rice, cattle, peanuts, pecans, and (later) natural gas. His old home is nearby. Town was renamed Brookshire.”