Contact
 
 
County
Fannin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - null
2000 Census - null
Nearby
Towns
Bonham, Texas
null
Bonham Texas History:
In 1837, Bailey Inglish built a blockhouse and stockade on 1,250 acres located on Bois d’Arc Creek. Replicas of this fort were built in 1936 and 1976. Inglish and John P. Simpson donated land for the original settlement of Bois d’Arc. Inglish was instrumental in establishing the Bois d’Arc post office. In 1843, Bois d’Arc became the county seat of the newly established Fannin County. In 1844, the town was renamed Bonham in honor of James B. Bonham, who died at the Alamo. When Kentuckian C.C. Alexander established a supply post in the early 1840s, Bois d’Arc became a resting place and supply center for Fort Worth and nearby forts. During the Civil War (1862-1865), the town was an agricultural center. After the Civil War the town began to grow; it incorporated in 1848. Between 1855 and 1890, the Masonic Female Institute, Carlton College, Fannin College and public schools were established. Row farming (grains, vegetables and cotton) was the town’s main industry. By 1887, the town was served by the Texas and Pacific Railroad and the Dennison, Bonham and New Orleans branch of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. During the Great Depression the WPA’s Civilian Conservation Corps built the high school auditorium, gym, and other projects. A prisoner of war camp and the Jones Airfield pilot training facility were located at Bonham during World War II. By the 1940s, row farming was replaced with small grain farming and livestock including dairy cattle. Bonham is the home of Democrat and Speaker of the House Samuel T. Rayburn. Bonham is located 18 miles south of the Red River and Oklahoma state line at the intersections of U.S. 82, SH 78 (Center Street), SH 56 and SH 121, 69 miles northeast of Dallas, 40 miles northeast of McKinney, 59 miles northeast of Tioga and Ray Roberts Lake, 40 miles northeast of Lake Lavon, 36 miles northeast of Farmersville, 17.6 miles northeast of Whitewright, 59 miles east of Gainesville, 46 miles southeast of Whitesboro, 35 miles southeast of Lake Texoma, 28.5 miles southeast of Sherman, 28 miles southeast of Denison, 49 miles southwest of Pat Mayse Lake, 16 miles southwest of the Caddo National Grasslands, 39 miles southwest of Paris, 16 miles west of Honey Grove, 51 miles northwest of Sulphur Springs, 45 miles northwest of Cooper and Jim Chapman Lake, 31.5 miles northwest of Commerce, 52 miles north of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 35 miles north of Greenville, and 23 miles north of Celeste, Texas.
 
SH 78 Red River Through Truss Bridge:
This WPA project bridge designed by the Oklahoma Highway Commission and was built by the Kansas City Bridge Company between 1937 and 1938. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge is located approximately 12 miles north of Bonham, Texas.
 
Fannin County Courthouse, 1889:
The courthouse was designed by architects W.C. Dodson and Dudley. Fire and drastic remodeling have removed most of its unique Victorian features, but the original structure remains. Dodson also designed the Parker and Wood County courthouses. The 2010 Fannin County census was 33,915. (903) 583-7455. 101 East Sam Rayburn Drive.