Contact
 
 
County
Kendall
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 10,471
2000 Census - 6,178
Nearby
Towns
Boerne, Texas
null
Boerne Texas History:
In 1849, a group of German settlers established the community of Tusculum on the north side of Cibolo Creek, approximately one mile west of the site of present day Boerne (Bern-ee). In 1852, Gustav Theissen and John James platted the townsite and renamed the community Boerne. The Boerne post office was established in 1856. In 1862, Boerne became the elected county seat of the newly formed Kendall County. The county courthouse was built in 1870. A new county courthouse was built in 1998. By 1884, Boerne had five hotels, a variety of businesses and 250 residents. It grew cotton, wool and grain, and shipped timber, cedar posts and building stone. The town began to grow more rapidly after the arrival of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway arrived in 1887. By 1890, the town had 800 residents. Boerne incorporated in 1909. By 1914, it had 950 residents. Boerne’s economy was devastated by the Great Depression due to falling cotton prices and the of the town’s tourist trade. Its population fell from 2,000 in 1928 to 1,117 in 1931, and rose to only 1,271 residents by the 1940s. Since the 1950s, many Boerne residents have commuted to San Antonio for work. German cultural traditions still dominate the community, and the community retains German community organizations including the 1864 Boerne Schuetzen Verein (shooting club) and the 1864Boerne Village Band. Boerne is located on Cibolo Creek at the intersections of IH-10, U.S. 87 (North Main Street) and SH 46 (RR 475), 32 miles northwest of San Antonio, 24.6 miles northwest of Helotes, 45.9miles northeast of Castroville, 32.4 miles northeast of Mico, 24.8 miles northeast of Bandera, 16 miles northeast of Pipe Creek, 34 miles southeast of Kerrville, 38.8 miles southeast of Fredericksburg, 16.4 miles southeast of Comfort, 13 miles southeast of Waring, 52 miles south of Stonewall, 29 miles south of Luckenbach, 13.5 miles south of Sisterdale, 52.4 miles southwest of Johnson City, 39 miles southwest of Blanco, 28 miles southwest of Kendalia, 31.4 miles west-southwest of Startzville and Canyon Lake, 24 miles southwest of Spring Branch, 22.4 miles southwest of Kendalia, 21.4 miles northwest of Bulverde, and 41.4 miles northwest of New Braunfels, Texas. 
 
Kendall County Courthouse, 1998:
This nice looking limestone, steel and concrete courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Rehler, Vaughn & Koone. It is located across the street from the 1870 courthouse which was used until 1998. The 2010 Kendall County census was 33,410. (830) 249-9343. 204 East San Antonio Drive. 
 
Kendall County Courthouse, 1869-1870:
The courthouse was designed by Phillip Zoeller and S.F. Stendeback in Italianate style. The 1886 second floor was designed by Charles Buckel. In 1910, Alfred Giles, a prominent San Antonio architect, designed the façade. A new courthouse was erected in 1998. An Alfred Giles exhibit is located on the second floor of the courthouse. This building has a Texas Historical Marker and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located across the street from the 1998 courthouse at 204 East San Antonio Drive.     
 
Kendall County Jail, 1884:
The jail was built out of white rock. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and is located on the courthouse square near the 1870 courthouse.