Contact
 
 
County
Houston
Region
Pineywoods
Nearby
Parks
Mission Tejas Texas State Park
null
Mission Tejas State Park Information: 
This 363.5 acre park was acquired from the Texas Forest Service and opened to the public in 1957. The original park construction was completed in by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in 1934. CCC constructed amenities include a replica of the 1690 Mission San Francisco de la Tejas, and bathtubs from springs in the ground. The 1828-1838 restored Rice Family Log Home is also located within the park. Constructed by Joseph Redmund Rice, Senior, the home was a stopover for immigrants and others traveling the Old San Antonio Road. It is one of the oldest structures in the area. Texas Historical Markers commemorate the mission and the cabin. A 1.5 mile portion of trail paralleling SH 21 is a part of the historic El Camino Real de los Tejas (Kings Road) National Historic Trail. One of the park’s Caddo Indian Sites is located along the trail. The park is located near the southern end of the Davy Crockett National Forest, and features campsites and hiking opportunities under the tall pine trees. Perch and bream may be caught in the 1 acre pond located near the picnic area. The park is favored for its spring dogwood blooms in late March. Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more complete park information, read the Park Brochure, and watch the Park Video.  The park is located in Weches, 17.4 miles northeast of Grapeland, and 21 miles northeast of Crockett, Texas. At the intersection of SH 21 and Park Road 44 in Weches, take Park Road 44 to the park.    
 
Rice Family Log Home, Mission Tejas State Park:
In 1828, Joseph rice built a one room log home. The bottom level was used for daily living. The loft was used as sleeping quarters. Between 1828 and 1838, Joseph added two rooms and the dogtrot. These two rooms are joined by a double fireplace on the common wall, called saddlebag construction. In the 1860s, Joseph gave the house to his grandson John and John’s wife Nancy who raised the ceiling and two doors, painted the ceiling blue, and wallpaper. In 1973, descendants of the Rice family donated the log home to Mission Tejas State Park.
 
Mission San Francisco de los Tejas:
In June 1690, Spaniards established Mission San Francisco de los Tejas southwest of the present day Alto, Texas. It was the first mission established in Texas. That winter an estimated 3,300 area people died from a smallpox epidemic. The Nabedache Indians blamed the Spaniards for the outbreak and became hostile. The smallpox outbreak was followed by two summers of drought causing the Indians to threaten to attack the mission. On October 25, 1693, the padres burned the mission and retreated toward Monclova. The mission was relocated two more times before finally being established as the Mission San Francisco de la Espada in current day San Antonio. The original 1690 mission land is located within the Mission Tejas State Park. In 1934, the Civilian conservation Corps constructed a replica of this mission.
 
Davy Crockett National Forest Information:
This 161,842 acre forest was proclaimed a National Forest by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on October 15, 1936. It was named after Texas legend and defender of the Alamo, Davy Crockett. Habitat consists of a lake, woodlands and streams. The forest is administered by the U.S. National Forest Service. Local headquarters are located in Lufkin. Local ranger offices are located in Kennard, Texas. The national forest is managed on a multiple-use philosophy and is used for lumbering, grazing, oil production, hunting, and recreation. Texas ranchers receive special use permits for cattle grazing. The forest is bordered on the northeast by the Neches River, and includes the 45 acre Ratcliff Lake, parks, a paddling trail, Mission Tejas State Park, and the 14,561 acre Alabama Creek Wildlife Management Area. The forest is located west of Lufkin, Texas in Trinity and Houston Counties.  Davy Crockett National Forest Facilities Map      
 
Mission Tejas State Park Directions:  
The park is in Weches; at the intersection of SH 21 and Park Road 44, take Park Road 44 to the park, 17.4 miles northeast of Grapeland, and 21 miles northeast of Crockett, and 35 miles southeast of Palestine, Texas.