Contact
 
 
County
Washington
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 15,716
2000 Census - 13,507
Nearby
Towns
Brenham, Texas
null
Brenham Texas History:
In 1843, the Hickory Grove community changed its name to Brenham in honor of Republic of Texas hero Dr. Richard Fox Brenham who practiced medicine in the vicinity. In 1844, James Hurt offered 100 acres for a townsite and Brenham was named county seat. The post office was established in 1846. When Brenham incorporated in 1858, the Brenham area was a prosperous agricultural area. When the Washington County Railroad built a line thorough Brenham to Austin in 1860, Brenham became a distribution center for Texas’ interior communities. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway arrived in Brenham in 1880. By the 1890s, major industries include cottonseed oil, mattress manufacturing, food and fiber processing, and metal fabricating.  The annual Maifest was begun by Germans in 1881; it originated from the German immigrants’’ Volkfests. Brenham's Fortnightly Club established the Brenham Public Library in 1899. In 1875, the town began operating the first tax-supported school system in Texas. In 1883, German Methodists of Brenham founded the Mission Institute which was later renamed Blinn Memorial College, and now is Blinn College. Brenham’s population rose rapidly, from 7,740 in 1960 to 12,796 in 1988 due to an influx of Houston residents and the growth of the town’s light manufacturing industries. Blue Bell Creameries, which began as Brenham Creamery Company in 1907, became the biggest ice cream producer in Texas in 1970, and by 1987 had annual sales of over $100 million. Firemen’s park was established in 1884; Henderson Park was established in the 1920s. Brenham is known for its large number of area horse ranches, and is located on the Bluebonnet and Independence Trails. Brenham is located at the intersections of U.S. 290, SH 36, SH 105, FM 332, FM 109 and FM 389, 12.4 miles east of Burton, 32.5 miles southeast of Caldwell, 29 miles southeast of Snook, 15.4 miles southeast of Somerville and Lake Somerville, 53 miles south of Bryan, 49 miles south of College Station, 35 miles southwest of Anderson, 25 miles southwest of Navasota, 20.4 miles southwest of Washington, 25 miles slightly northwest of Hempstead, 10.6 miles slightly northwest of Chappell Hill, 76 miles northwest of Houston, 37 miles northwest of San Felipe, 32 miles northwest of Sealy, 18 miles northwest of Bellville, 37 miles northeast of Columbus, 29 miles northeast of Fayetteville, 38 miles northeast of La Grange, 22 miles northeast of Round Top, and 16 miles northeast of Industry, and 89 miles east of Austin, Texas. 
  
Historic Washington County:
Washington County has over 120 Texas Historical Markers; a guide is available from the Washington County Chamber of Commerce. (979) 836-3695. 314 S. Austin Street, Brenham, TX 77833. Email
 
Historic Downtown Brenham:
Brenham’s downtown Main Street District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It features stone store fronts, tin ceilings and tile floors. This downtown district hosts the Hot Nights Cool Tunes Concert Series on Saturday nights at 7pm during the month of July. Click on this link for historic site information and site addresses. (888) 273-6426.
 
Washington County Courthouse, 1840:
The 1939 limestone courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Travis Broesche in Modern style. The county’s three prior courthouses were built in 1844, 1852, and 1883; the 1883 courthouse was stunning. The 2010 Washington County Census was 33,718. The courthouse is located at 105 East Main Street between South Park and Baylor Streets. (979) 277-6200.