Contact
 
 
County
Montague
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 5,218
2000 Census - 5,219
Nearby
Towns
Bowie, Texas
null
Bowie Texas History:
The Bowie area was first settled in the early 1860s. In 1882, the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad built a line through the area. The early settlers moved to the railroad construction camp and established businesses in tents. The townsite was platted, and the Bowie post office was established. In 1884 Bowie incorporated. Because of the railroad, Bowie became a commercial and shipping center for area farmers and ranchers. By 1885, it had three hotels, a bank schools, churches, a weekly newspaper and 1,000 residents. Bowie is located at the intersections of U.S. 287, U.S. 81 and SH 59, 28 miles northwest of Decatur, 34 miles northwest of Runaway Bay, 28 miles northwest of Bridgeport and Lake Bridgeport, 34 miles northeast of Jacksboro, 29 miles southeast of Henrietta, 47 miles southwest of Gainesville, 32 miles southwest of Muenster, 23 miles southwest of Saint Jo, 19 miles southwest of Nocona, and 12.4 miles southwest of Montague, Texas.
 
Red River Station, Texas Historical Marker Text: 
"Jumping-off point" on the famous Chisholm Cattle Trail, (1867-87), Red River Station was a main crossing and last place on trail to buy supplies until Abilene, Kan.--350 miles north. During the cattle drive era of Western history, millions of animals swam the turbulent river here en route to Kansas railhead and markets. An abrupt bend in the river checked its flow at this point, creating a natural crossing which had been used for years by buffalo and Indians. Even so, the water was wide, swift, and sometimes clogged with sand bars. Frequently cattle were so jammed cowboys could walk across on their backs. Besides a cattle crossing, the station was an outpost of the frontier regiment, which patrolled Texas' northernmost border during Confederacy (1861-65). During cattle era, a town began here, its ferry serving drovers, soldiers, freighters, and settlers returning from Indian captivity. The marker is located in the local cemetery (1 mi. SE) contains many graves of these Texas pioneers.”
 
Bowie Downtown Community Room:
The building houses the city council offices, the emergency management office and equipment, a kitchen and a reservable room. The building serves as a community shelter room during times of need. It is NOT a safe shelter during tornados. 307 North Mason Street. (940) 872-1114. Email 
 
North Central Texas College, Bowie Campus:
(940) 872-4002. 810 South Mill Street. Email
 
Bowie Public Library:  
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, audio books, summer programs, computer classes, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue, Wed & Fri, 9am-5pm; Thu, 10am-7pm; Sat, 10am-3pm; closed Sunday, Monday and major holidays. (940) 872-2681. 301 Walnut Street. Email