Contact
 
 
County
Bee
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 12,863
2000 Census - 13,129
Nearby
Towns
Beeville, Texas
null
Beeville, Texas History:
The original settlement of Maryville was established on Medio Creek in the 1830s. In 1858, Maryville was made county seat of the newly formed Bee County. The town was renamed Beeville because the charter organizing Bee County required the county seat be named Beeville. In 1859, Beeville was moved 7 miles from its original location to a 150 acre track on Poesta Creek. Posada Creek rises four miles south of Mineral in northwestern Bee County and flows southeast for 12 miles to its mouth on the Aransas River, two miles north of Skidmore, Texas. The Beeville post office was established in 1859. In 1880 Beeville had two general stores, two hotels, a gin and gristmill, a blacksmith shop and 300 residents. In 1886, the San Antonio-Aransas Pass Railroad arrived, connecting Beeville to San Antonio and Corpus Christi. In 1889, the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railway built a line connecting Victoria to Beeville. By 1890 Beeville had 1,000 residents. Chase Field, a Naval Air Auxiliary Station, was established in Beeville in 1943 during World War II. It was closed after the war, but was reactivated in 1953 to help overcrowding at NAS Corpus Christi. It became a full naval air station in 1968, and deactivated in 1993. Lacks Furniture and the Adams Extract Company were founded in Beeville. Beeville is located at the intersections of U.S. 181, U.S. 59, FM 351 and FM 673, 27.5 miles northeast of Mathis and Lake Corpus Christi, 24.5 miles northeast of George West, 34 miles east of Three Rivers, 32 miles southeast of Kenedy, 29 miles southwest of Goliad, 55 miles southeast of Victoria, 32 miles west of Refugio, 13 miles northwest of Skidmore, and 62.5 miles northwest of Corpus Christi, Texas.
 
Historic Beeville on Poesta Creek, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Long before Mexico granted land (1834) on Poesta Creek to the first settlers, Anne Burke and James Heffernan, savage Indians roamed this valley at will. Their colony, although successful at first, soon met disaster. In 1836 James Heffernan, his brother John, and John Ryan, who had planned to join Texas patriots at Goliad, were planting a crop in a field at this site when they were massacred by Comanches. Also killed was James' family, in his picket house up creek. Bee County was organized in 1858 and named for Col. Barnard E. Bee, a Republic of Texas statesman. Soon after, choice of a county seat came into hot dispute. A site seven miles east, on Medio Creek, was chosen for "Beeville". But ten months later, voters made the 150-acre donation of Anne Burke "O'Carroll permanent county seat, on the banks on the Poesta. The new town, first called "Maryville" for Mary Heffernan (relative of those killed in 1836) was soon renamed Beeville. In its first decade, it had two stores, one saloon, and a blacksmith shop. First courthouse was built for $750 on west side of present square, 1860. First railroad came through, 1866, and a larger courthouse was soon built. After it burned, the present one was erected in 1913. 
 
Beeville Texas Main Street City:
The community is revitalizing the historic downtown area. There are many historic buildings designed by Alfred Giles, Jules Leffland, and Stephenson, and many antique stores, tearooms, and other unique shops. In 2004, Texas Monthly named Beeville one of the best small towns in Texas for art. The city is also a National Main Street City.
 
Beeville County Courthouse, 1912:
The courthouse was designed in classical revival style by local architect William Charles Stevenson; he also sculpted the Lady Justice statue which sits atop the courthouse. Unlike most Lady of Justice statues, Beeville’s is not blindfolded. Architect Robert Beasley oversaw the last addition to the courthouse. The 2010 Bee County census was 31,861. The courthouse square is bordered by Washington, Houston, Corpus Christi and St. Mary Streets. 105 West Corpus Christi Street, 78102.