Alvin Texas History:
In the 1860s the Santa Fe Railroad established a flag station near the head of Mustang Slough on its Galveston to Richmond branch line. In 1872, the railroad hired Alvin Morgan to supervise the loading and shipping of cattle at the stock pens. Morgan built the first house in the area in 1879 and persuaded many travelers to settle there. It is said that Morgan’s inseparable companions were a dog, a goose and a white buzzard. The post office was established in 1881. Residents initially named it Morgan but renamed it Alvin after learning of another Texas settlement named Morgan. Alvin incorporated in 1891 and in 1893. Alvin had 100 residents in 1890. By 1896 it had an estimated population of 2,000. Businesses included an ice factory, a pickle factory, a cotton gin, bank, opera house, six hotels, four churches, and two weekly newspapers. Major industries included farming and fruit orchards. During World War II a German internment camp was in Alvin. Approximately 500 Germans worked in the local canning factory and the rice fields. By the 1950s, industries included livestock, poultry, dairy farms, agriculture, jasmine oil, natural gas and petrochemicals. Annually from July through November, the city braces for floods, hurricanes and tornadoes. The 1900 Galveston hurricane damaged or destroyed most of Alvin’s businesses and homes. Nolan Ryan, a Baseball Hall of Fame inductee is from Alvin. The 2010 Alvin census was 24,236. Alvin is located at the intersection of SH 6 and SH 35, 31 miles southeast of Houston, 10 miles southeast of Pearland, 21 miles southwest of Seabrook, 14 miles southwest of League City, 30 miles northwest of Galveston, 40 miles northwest of Surfside Beach, 43 miles southwest of Baytown, 8 miles southeast of Manvel, and 21.5 miles northeast of Angleton, Texas.
Alvin Historic District & Driving Tour:
Form SH 6, take Business SH 35 (Gordon Street) south and cross the railroad tracks. Many of these buildings date to 1900. Alvin’s historic buildings include the 1881 First Methodist Church of Alvin at 611 W. South Street, the 1890 First Presbyterian Church of Alvin at 302 South Johnson Street, the 1900 Cumming-Smith House at 503 W. Lang Street, and the Birchfield-McCown House at the corner of Long and Beauregard Streets.
Historic Confederate Cemetery, 1890s, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Established by John A. Wharton Camp, it is a burial ground for Confederate soldiers, veterans and families, and a few Union soldiers. When the acreage was increased, the cemetery was expanded to serve the public. Click
for a list of those interred. The cemetery is located at 998 Dickinson Road (FM 517) near the intersection of FM 517 and SH 35.