Contact
 
 
County
Brewster
Region
Big Bend
Population
2010 Census - 5,905
2000 Census - 5,786
Nearby
Towns
Alpine, Texas
null
Alpine Texas History:
Between 1878 and 1882, cattlemen lived in tents along a spring fed creek at the foot of “A” Mountain. The railroad section was known as Osborne as was the small settlement around the train stop. The railroad needed the best spring as a source of water for their steam engines, and agreed to name the settlement Murphyville if spring owners Daniel and Thomas Murphy would permit the railroad to use the spring. The Murphys registered the Murphyville town plat in November, 1883. In 1883, residents successfully petitioned to rename the post office, and thus the town, Alpine. At this time Alpine had become a retail and shipping center for area ranchers, and had a hotel and rooming house, a blacksmith and livery stable, a butcher shop, three saloons, a dozen houses, and a drugstore that also housed the post office. The town grew slowly until 1921 when Sul Ross State Normal College was established. Alpine incorporated in 1929. The name was later changed to Sul Ross University. Big Bend National Park opened in 1945, adding tourism to the town’s economic base. In the 1960s, the town’s climate, fabulous views and cultural began attracting retirees. U.S. 90 and U.S. 67 merge for 34 miles near Alpine. The joined roads pass through Alpine and the beautiful scenic Paisano Pass west of Alpine, and continue through the beautiful Glass Mountains to Marfa where U.S. 67 turns south towards Presidio. The town’s most famous person was Dan Blocker who played Hoss on the 1960s-1970s “Bonanza” show. The movie “Dancer, Texas Population 81” was filmed in Alpine as were portions of the movies “Sylvester” and “The Good Old boys.” Alpine is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains at the intersections of U.S. 90, U.S. 67 and SH 118, 80 miles northwest of Study Butter, Terlingua and Big Bend National Park, 30.5 miles slightly northwest of Marathon, 90 miles north of Lajitas and Big Bend Ranch State Park, 86 miles northeast of Presidio, 26.4 miles slightly northeast of Marfa, 62 miles southeast of Valentine, 23.8 miles southeast of Fort Davis, 61 miles southeast of Balmorhea, and 67 miles southwest of Fort Stockton, Texas.
 
Glass Mountains:
This mountain range extends from Cathedral Mountain in northern Brewster County to Monument Draw in Pecos County. The highest elevations are over 5,700 feet above sea level in the western portion of the range north of Marathon. The origin of Fort Stockton’s Comanche Springs is located in the mountains. U.S. 90 and U.S. 67 merge for 34 miles near Alpine. The joined roads pass through Alpine and the beautiful scenic Paisano Pass west of Alpine, and continue through the Glass Mountains to Marfa where U.S. 67 turns south towards Presidio. 
 
Brewster County Courthouse, 1887:
The courthouse was built in Second Empire style. The architect is unknown. The courthouse and matching Brewster County Jail were built of locally made red bricks. A reservable gazebo (bandstand) is located on the courthouse lawn. The rear part of the building on 5th Street formerly housed the post office. It now houses the Stephenson laundry. The 2010 Brewster County census was 9,232. (432) 837-2412. 201 West Avenue East.
 
Brewster County Jail, 1888:
The former jail and matching courthouse were contracted at the same time; the architect is unknown. The bricks were made locally.