Contact
 
 
County
Starr
Region
South Texas Plains
Nearby
Parks
Falcon Texas State Park
null
Falcon State Park Information:
The 572 acre Falcon State Park is located on the southern tip of the 98,960 surface acre International Falcon Reservoir. The 60 mile long lake was formed when Mexico and the U.S, through joint effort, built the 5 mile long Falcon Dam on the Rio Grande River. A memorial to the joint project is located at the dam. The parkland is owned by the International Boundary and Water Commission. It was leased to the state of Texas in 1949. The park opened to the public in 1965 with 144 developed acres. The park’s habitat varies from grasslands sprinkled with Mexican plants such as prickly pear, to woodlands consisting of Texas ebony, mesquite and Texas olive. The park offers great bass fishing, and bird and butterfly viewing. The Mexican town of Nuevo Guerrero is located across the dam road. Park entrance and camping fees apply. The park is located just northeast of Falcon Heights, and 15 miles northeast of Roma, Texas.
 
Falcon International Reservoir Information:  
The Falcon Reservoir is located in the South Texas Counties of Starr and Zapata, and in Mexico. The lake was impounded on the Rio Grande River in 1954. One of the largest lakes in Texas, it has a surface area of 78,300 acres at normal water levels, and a maximum depth of 110 feet. The lake is famous for its big catfish and black bass. There are some issues with overfishing by Mexican fisherman which reduced the striped bass to almost zero, and have sharply reduced the populations of crappie and white bass. TPWD has been stocking the lake with white bass. Flathead catfish are good in the river holes in late fall, especially at night. Catfish has replaced the striped bass as the secondary fish (good eating) and 60 to 80 pound catfish are not unusual, though they are less prevalent than in the past. Good fishing is also available at Sugar Lake, Las Blancas Lake and Ell Cuchillo Lake in Mexico. Falcon State Park features a boat ramp, campsites and other amenities. Many arrowheads left by Native Americans thousands of years ago may be found along the lake areas. The lake is located southeast of Laredo, Texas and Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico. It is jointly managed by the United States and Mexico through the International Boundary and Water Commission. From Laredo, take U.S. 83 South 2 miles through Falcon. Go west on FM 2098; travel through Falcon Heights. Go left on Park Road 46 to the Falcon State Park headquarters.
 
Rio Grande River:
The Rio Grande rises 12,000 feet above sea level in the Rio Grande National Forest in Colorado as a clear, spring and snow-fed mountain stream. The river cuts through the middle of New Mexico to the sites of El Paso and Ciudad Juárez at the junction of Chihuahua, Mexico and Texas. At that point, because of the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which terminated the Mexican War, the Rio Grande became the international boundary between the United States and Mexico. It forms the western or southern borders of El Paso, Hudspeth, Presidio, Brewster (where the river's sweeping curve gives Big Bend National Park its name), Terrell, Val Verde, Kinney, Maverick, Webb, Zapata, Starr, Hidalgo, and Cameron Counties. The river empties into the Gulf of Mexico. The river has many large and small tributaries including the Pecos and Devils Rivers which enter the Rio Grande at the Amistad Reservoir northwest of Del Rio, Texas. At El Paso the Rio Grande caused friction in the 1870s, when the river bit deep into the banks of Mexico and gradually transferred land to the United States. The famous Chamizal Dispute was not settled until 1963, when 437 acres was ceded from downtown El Paso to Mexico. The agreement economically strengthened both cities. The international border at the two cities is now lined with concrete so that the river will never again shift its channel. In Mexico the river is known as the Rio Bravo del Norte, or Rio Bravo.  Fish Stocking History  USGS River Gages
 
Directions to Falcon State Park:
From Zapata:
Take U.S. 83 to FM 2098 West. Continue through Falcon Heights to Park Road 46; go left on 46 to park headquarters.