Contact
 
 
County
Callahan
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,496
2000 Census - 1,623
Nearby
Towns
Baird, Texas
null
Baird Texas History:
The Texas and Pacific Railway built a line through the area in 1880 and the town of Baird was established on the railroad line. It was named for railroad surveyor and engineer Matthew Baird. The community was a division point on the railroad, with a depot, roundhouse, and repair shops. The post office was established as Vickery in 1881, and was renamed Baird in 1883, the same year Baird replaced Belle Plain as Callahan County seat. Many of Belle Plain’s businesses and residents moved to the Baird. The town incorporated in 1889. Around 1910, a runaway train in the night precipitated a spectacular three-locomotive pile-up at the Baird depot. Baird was designated the Antique Capital of Texas by the Texas legislature. Baird is located at the intersections of U.S. 283 (Cherry Street), IH-20, FM 2047, and FM 18 (3rd Street), 62 miles east of Sweetwater, 20.5 miles slightly southeast of Abilene, 6.4 miles slightly southeast of Clyde, 43 miles southeast of Anson, 40.5 miles southwest of Fort Griffin, 26 miles southwest of Albany, 49.7 miles southwest of Breckenridge, 35 miles west of Eastland, 25 miles west of Cisco, 28.6 miles northwest of Cross Plains, 41 miles north of Coleman, and 35 miles northeast of Buffalo Gap, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Callahan County Courthouse, 1929:
The courthouse was designed in classical revival style by the architectural firm of Voelcker & Dixon. The 2010 Baird County census was 13,544. (325) 854-5805. 100 West 4th Street.
 
Old Baird County Jail, 1878:
The ghost town of Belle Plain, located 3 miles south of Baird, was the original Callahan County Seat. The town built a courthouse and a huge stone jail. When the railroad built a line through Baird in 1883, Belle Plain residents and businesses moved to Baird to be closer to the railroad. The jail was dismantled, and the stones were numbered and moved to Baird where the jail was reassembled at 100 West 5th Street. The City of Baird paid for this project. The new Callahan County Jail was built of red brick.  
 
Texas and Pacific Railroad Depot, 1881:
The first story was built in 1881 and the second story was added in 1883. The building was designed in Renaissance revival style with decorative brickwork. It was used as a depot until 1977. In 2010 it was being restored for use as the Chamber of Commerce office, a visitor center, a transportation museum, a gift shop, and as a meeting space.  
 
Pioneer Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Baird and Callahan County, including farming and ranch implements, barbed wire, and early 1900s household items and clothing. The museum and library are located in the basement of the Callahan County Courthouse at 100 West 4th Street. (325) 854-1718.
 
Baird T & Depot & Transportation Museum:
In 2001, Baird received funds from the Texas Department of Transportation to renovate this beautiful depot. Using additional funds from the community, the depot was restored and now houses the Baird Transportation Museum and the Chamber of Commerce offices. The building is ADA compliant.(325) 669-0363. 100 Market Street. Email     
 
Callahan County Library:
The library was established in 1937 by the Baird Wednesday club. The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The Pioneer Museum and the library are located in the basement of the county courthouse. (325) 854-1718. 100 West 4th Street.
 
Annual Barbarian Festival, June:
Howard, the creator of “Conan, The Barbarian,” also wrote poetry. His poetry is featured at the festival. Additional activities include a car show, an antique tractor and motor competition, live music, a talent contest, vendors, children’s entertainment and vendors. This event is held on the second Saturday in June at Treadway Park on SH 34. Cottonwood is located at the intersection of SH 34 and FM 2451, 25 miles southeast of Baird, 29 miles southwest of Cisco, and 7.8 miles northwest of Cross Plains, Texas. Contacts