South Texas Plains
2010 Census - 18,353
2000 Census - 14,760
Alamo, Texas
Alamo, Texas History:
The town’s initial development occurred between 1902 and 1909 when Peter Blalock and George Hawkins purchased 32,000 acres of land that included the townsite. The land extended 15 miles north of the Rio Grande River. In 1907 they platted the town, built shipping pens, and named the railroad depot Ebenezer. The town became known as Camp Ebenezer. In 1909, Rentfro Creager and C.H. Swallow formed the Alamo Land and Sugar Company and purchased the 32,000 acres. They moved the townsite above the Rio Grande floodplain, and began advertising the town to prospective settlers. The town was initially called Forum, and then was renamed Swallow when the post office was established in 1909. The Alamo Progressive Club was established in 1919, and later became the Alamo Chamber of Commerce. The town incorporated as Alamo in 1924. In 1925 it had 200 residents. By 1936, Alamo had 1,018 residents and 50 businesses. Until the mid-1950s the town’s primary business was serving as a shipping point for citrus fruits and vegetables. Today the Alamo economy is more diversified; approximately 20,000 Winter Texans live in Alamo. The Alamo City Hall was completed in 2004 across from the old city hall. Alamo is located in the Rio Grande Valley which consists of Starr, Hidalgo, Willacy and Cameron Counties. Alamo is located 8 miles north of the Rio Grande River at the intersection of U.S. 83 and FM 907 on the eastern border of San Juan, 8 miles north of the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, 15 miles northeast of Hidalgo, 15 miles east of Mission, 3.8 miles southeast of Pharr, 7.8 miles southeast of McAllen, 12.5 miles south of Edinburg, 28 miles west of Harlingen, 14.5 miles northwest of Mercedes, 13 miles northwest of Weslaco, and 4.5 miles west of Donna, Texas.
Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery, Mission, TX:
The Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery is located on 75 acres purchased by the City of Mission from Bentsen Palm; Mission donated the land to the Texas Veterans Land Board. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the second Texas State Veterans Cemetery was held September 27, 2005. The first internment was December 4, 2006. The cemetery is located just off U.S. Highway 83 on South Inspiration Road near its junction with Military Road. It is approximately 2.5 miles south of the exit, just past Seven Oaks Golf and Country Club. Open daily, 8am-5pm. (956) 583-7227. 2520 South Inspiration Road, 78572, Mission, Texas.