2000 Census - Unknown (Annexed by Houston)
Addicks Texas History & Information:
In 1850, German immigrants established the Bear Creek community along Bear, Langham and South Mayde Creeks. The community was renamed Addicks after Henry Addicks, its original postmaster when the post office was established in 1884. After the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad built through the town in 1891, Addicks became a commercial center for local farmers and ranchers. Addicks and the original Bear Creek community were destroyed in the 1900 Galveston Hurricane. The rebuilt community had 40 residents by 1925. The Bear Creek German Methodist Church was established in 1879; services were conducted in German until World War II. The original town of Addicks was located just south of the intersection of Patterson Road and Highway 6. In 1947 Addicks was forced to move several miles south near the intersection of IH-10 and Highway 6 because its original site was to be inundated by the waters of the newly built Addicks Reservoir (Lake). Several of the original buildings still exist, including the 1879 Addicks Bear Creek Methodist Church (now Addicks United Methodist Church) located at 1212 SH 6 North near the Addicks Lake dam. Several other original buildings now house trendy shops, antique stores, and restaurants; these buildings are located near the southeast corner of IH-10 and SH6. Many of the gravesites of the original German settlers are located in the Addicks Bear Creek Cemetery at the corner of Highway 6 and Patterson Road. The Barker and Addicks Reservoirs are located at Addicks. The town is located approximately 9 miles east of Katy, and is served by the Katy ISD.
Harris County War Memorial At Bear Creek Pioneer Park:
Memorial walls are inscribed with the names of those who died while serving out country in World War I, World War II, the Vietnam War, the Korean War, the first Persian Gulf War, and the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The memorial is located in Bear Creek Pioneers Park at 3535 War Memorial Drive, 77084. (281) 496-2177.
Historic Kock Cemetery, 1860-1900:
The cemetery is located south of Groeschke Road and the West Houston Airport Terminal.
Historical Bear Creek German Methodist Church and Cemetery:
Marker Text: “German immigrants settled in the area surrounding the junction of Langham and Bear Creeks in the 1840s. Settlers traveled to nearby churches for Sunday services until about 1879 when seven charter members established the Bear Creek German Methodist Church. The Congregation initially met in member’s homes. The church was subsequently made a mission of the Rose Hill Methodist Church near Tomball. In 1890 a small church building was erected near the Hillendahl Family Cemetery. The site proved to be poorly drained and often inaccessible, and in 1902 the congregation moved the sanctuary here on three acres donated by Fred and Katherine Brandt. A part of the acreage was laid out as a cemetery. Christine Backen’s burial in 1904 was the first recorded here. The cemetery is still active and is maintained by the Addicks Bear Creek Cemetery Association. A summer store destroyed the sanctuary in 1915 but by the end of that year a new church building had been erected. Area flooding in 1935 resulted in the construction of the nearby Addicks Reservoir in 1940 and the subsequent removal of the church to another site about 1.7 miles south of here. The congregation changed its name to Addicks United Methodist Church in 1968.” The Texas Historical Marker for the Cemetery located at 3054 SH 6, south of Groeschke Road.
Sam Houston Race Park & Live Music Concerts:
They offer simulcast and live horse racing, and live music concerts by nationally recognized artists. (281) 807-8700. 7575 N. Sam Houston Parkway West, 77064. Email
Annual Houston Rodeo Texas Valley Lodge Trail Ride, Brookshire to Houston, Feb:
This 75 mile trail ride was established in 1959. The 2015 trail began on Saturday, February 21 with 75 to 100 riders, and seven wagons. The Saturday 11.6 mile ride began at 10am at U.S. 90, 1 mile west of Brookshire. A morning break was taken on Peach Ridge Road, between Donigan and House Road. Lunch was at the corner of House Road and FM 1489. A break was taken in the afternoon on FM 1489, between Hunt Road and Vernon Frost Road. They spent the night at Pecan Acres Ranch on Vernon Frost Road. They left the ranch at 8:30am for the 13.8 mile ride to Gordon Ranch (Jewish Community Center on FM 359). They took morning breaks at the corner of Love and Rogers Roads, and at the corner of Wallis Road and 5th Street. Lunch was on Bois D’Arc, 1.5 miles north of FM 1093. An afternoon break was taken on the corner of Bois D’Arc and Winner Foster. Another break was taken at 3pm on Winner foster, just west of FM 359. Friday’s 15 mile ride began at 9am. A break was taken on McCrary and Morton Road. Lunch was at Grand Parkway (SH 99) and Morton Road. They camped overnight at the Great Southwest Equestrian Center at 2501 South Mason Road, Katy, 77450. On Thursday they took a mid-morning break at Addicks Dam Equestrian Parking area. Lunch was at the Park & Ride lot on Katy Freeway and Barker Cypress. They took an early afternoon break at the Church on Park Row Road at SH 6. They camped overnight at Houston Farm and Ranch Club, 1 Abercrombie Street, Houston, 77084. Friday they left at 8am for the 15.8 mile ride, and took a 9am break at the Conoco Phillips on Eldridge Parkway. A 10:30 break was taken at Memorial City Way and IH-10. They spent the night at Memorial Park (6501 Memorial Drive, 77007).