Contact
 
 
County
Taylor
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 464
2000 Census - 463
Nearby
Towns
Buffalo Gap, Texas
null
Buffalo gap was founded in 1857 on Elm Creek, a former buffalo watering hole. In the 1860s and 1870s, buffalo hunters made winter camp in the Callahan Divide which crosses Buffalo Gap from east to west. Because Buffalo Gap was the only town in the county in 1874, it was chosen as the temporary county seat of the newly organized Taylor County. In 1875, buffalo hunting was still a popular activity in 1875.
Buffalo carcasses sold for five to fifteen dollars, and the bones were used to refine sugar. The Buffalo Gap post office was established in 1878. By 1880, Buffalo Gap had a drugstore, a carriage and blacksmith shop, a big hotel, a jail, three or four grocery stores, a saloon and 1,200 residents. In 1881, Buffalo Gap was bypassed by the railroad in favor of Abilene. In 1883, Buffalo Gap lost its county seat position to Abilene, and by 1884, Buffalo Gap had only 600 residents. In 1892, Buffalo Gap had a population of 400, eleven businesses, Presbyterian and Methodist churches, and Buffalo Gap College. The college declined, and its charter expired in 1902. In 1895, the Santa Fe Railroad built a line through town. The town has carved out an identity as an "old-time" cultural and commercial center. The present Buffalo Gap Road (Farm Road 89) follows the old Center Line Trail, which was surveyed in 1874 and ran from Texarkana to El Paso. Incorporated Buffalo Gap is located at the intersection of FM 1235 and FM 89 (Buffalo Gap Road), 5 miles southwest of Abilene State Park, and 14 miles southwest of Abilene, Texas. 
 
Historic Buffalo Gap, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Probably named for the pass in Callahan Divide (mountains) crossed by thousands of buffalo that once inhabited this area. Besides providing the native Apache and Comanche Indians with food, buffaloes drew the first white hunters here, about 1874. First homes in present town were dugouts of buffalo hunters. The community began to grow in 1878 when it was named county seat and was located on the western cattle trail. In 1883, however, the new railroad town of Abilene became county seat and Buffalo Gap, like so many small Texas towns, lost prestige.” The marker is located at the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds at West and Vine Street in Buffalo Gap.

Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.   Email   Texas Plains Trail Map
 
Dyess Air Force Base:
The base is located at the site of the former Camp Barkeley, 11 miles southwest of Abilene. Linear Air is home to the base’s huge collection of aircraft. Linear Air Park visitation is by group tours only; call the Dyess Air Force Base Visitor Center for information. The Dyess Visitors Center and Memorial Park are located just north of the base at Arnold Boulevard and Military Drive. Exhibits pay tribute to Lt. Col. William Dyess. The park honors those men and women from the base who died in service. Admission is free. The Visitor Center and park are open Mon-Fri, 7:30am-4pm. (325) 793-2199.
 
Historic Old Taylor County Courthouse and Jail, 1880:
Buffalo Gap was the Taylor County seat. The courthouse and jail was designed by the Architectural firm of Martin, Byrnes & Johnson; the county seat was moved to Abilene in 1883. The courthouse and jail house the Taylor County History Center in the Buffalo Gap Historical Village.
 
Buffalo Gap Historic Village - Taylor County Historic Center (Museum):
This living history museum has over one dozen historical buildings including the 1910 Texas and Pacific Railroad Depot which now houses the Buffalo Gap Mercantile (store), the 1890s Ovalo Store from Ovalo, Texas, the 1906 Nazarene Church (“Sweet Church”) which was home to the ministry of Mary Lee Cagle, the 1880 Taylor County Courthouse and Jail which now houses the Taylor County History Center (museum), the 1881 Marshall Tom Hill house furnished in period pieces, the 1875 single pen Knight-Sayles Cabin, a 1905 house featuring turn of the century physicians’ and dentists’ equipment, a turn of the century barbershop, the City of Clyde’s 1910 Texas & Pacific Railroad depot, a replica of a 1905 blacksmith shop, the Village Gallery featuring a collection of West Texas fine art and maps, and a barn housing turn of the century agricultural and domestic life items, including carriages, curling irons, and a 1919 Model T hack. Additional buildings include a 1930 rural two room schoolhouse from Scurry County, the 1950 Buffalo Gap post office, a building housing a collection of early 20th century printing equipment, a 1926 Texaco Station from Winters, Texas, and a building furnished with 1920s items from the First State Bank of Buffalo Gap. A bison sculpture and the 1880 Reddell-Boone House are located outside the museum gates. The house, located at the corner of William and Elm Streets, is slated for renovation. The Parsonage Guest House is available for overnight stays. The museum offers school programs and sound wand tours. The museum sponsors the Buffalo Gap Vintage Base Ball team, and offers special programs such as student internships, ghost tours, a 4th of July Celebration and Community Parade, the Comanche Moon Social, and the Fall Festival. Several buildings are available for event rentals. Open Mon-Sat, 10am-5pm; Sun, noon-5pm; closed during inclement weather and Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Summer hours are extended until 6pm. An admission fee applies. (325) 572-3365. 133 N. William Street, Buffalo Gap, 79508. Buffalo Gap is located 14 miles southwest of Abilene on FM 89 (Buffalo Gap Road). Email 
 
Taylor County Historic Center (Museum) at Buffalo Gap Village:
The History Center features interesting exhibits and has eight hands-on programs for classrooms. The Center hosts ghost tours, the annual Rum Runners Run 5K, the annual Comanche Moon Special, and the annual Pillage-The-Village and Harvest Fest and Trick or Treat. On the second Saturday of each month, the History Center hosts the free learning series with various speakers. Museum: (325) 572-3365. Office: (325) 572-3974. The History Center is located in the historic Taylor County Jail and Courthouse at 133 North William Street.  Email  Facebook