Contact
 
 
County
Caldwell
Region
Praries & Lakes
Nearby
Parks
Lockhart Texas State Park
null
Lockhart State Park Information:
The 263.7 acres of parkland along Clear Fork Creek was deeded to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department by private owners between 1934 and 1937. Constructed by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), the park opened to the public in 1948. Many of the original CCC structures remain, including the Group Recreation Hall, the Cistern, and the rock dams and bridges along Clear Fork Creek. Wildlife species include white-tailed deer, coyote, fox, raccoon, bobcat, opossum, armadillo, nutria, squirrel, rabbit, birds, and snakes, including rattlesnakes and coral snakes. The Battle of Plum Creek occurred in 1840, a few miles north of the park.Park entrance and camping fees apply. For more complete park information, watch the Park Video.  From Lockhart, go south on U.S. 183 for 1 mile to FM 20. Go right on FM 20 for 2 miles to Park Road 10, then travel 1 mile south to the park. 
 
Battle of Plum Creek, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The harsh anti-Indian politics of President Mirabeau B. Lamar and Mexican efforts to weaken the Republic of Texas stirred Indian hostilities. Hatred increased after the council house fight in San Antonio, March 19, 1840, where 12 Comanche chiefs were killed. After regroup and making plans for revenge, 600 Comanches and Kiowas, including women and children, moved across central Texas in early August. They raided Victoria and Linnville (120 mi. SE), a prosperous seaport. About 200 Texans met at Good's Crossing on Plum Creek under Major-General Felix Huston (1800-1857) to stop the Indians. Adored with their plunder from Linnville the war party stretched for miles across the prairie. The Battle of Plum Creek, August 12, 1840, began on Comanche Flats (5.5 mi. SE) and proceeded to Kelley Springs (2.5 mi SW), with skirmishes as far as present San Marcos and Kyle. Mathew Caldwell (1798-1842), for whom Caldwell County was named, was injured in the council house fight but took part in this battle, volunteers under Edward Burleson (1793-1851): included 13 Tonkawa Indians, marked as Texas allies by white armbands. Texan causalities were light while the Indians lost over 80 chiefs and warriors. This battle ended the Comanche penetration of settled portions of Texas.” Market located in Lions Park, 403 S. Colorado across from the HEB on U.S. 183.

Lockhart State Park Directions:
From Lockhart, go south on U.S. 183 for 1 mile to FM 20. Go right on FM 20 for 2 miles to Park Road 10, then travel 1 mile south to the park.