Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,852
2000 Census - 2,699
Nearby
Towns
Schulenburg, Texas
null
Schulenburg Texas History:
In 1831, Kesiah Crier received a Schulenburg area land grant from the Mexican government. Her family and the James Lyons family were the first white settlers in the area. In 1873, the Galveston, Harris, and San Antonio Railroad planned to build Schulenburg station on a line being built between San Antonio and Houston. The settler’s in High Hill had refused the offer of a station so the railroad built the line further south on land donated by Louis Schulenburg and Ernst Baumgarten. The town was named after Schulenburg. Baumgarten built a cottonseed crushing plant, and operated a lumberyard, a planing mill, a sash and door factory, a cotton gin, and the Schulenburg Oil Mill which manufactured flour from cottonseed. The first train arrived in Schulenburg on New Year’s Eve in 1873. The town incorporated on May 24, 1875. Many of the early settlers of Schulenburg were of German and Czech descent. The local bakeries are still known for their kalaches. By 1884 the community had two churches, a bank, schools, thirteen general stores, four saloons and approximately 1,000 residents. The town is also known as the home of the Stanzel Company which made wire controlled and free flight model airplanes for 70 years. Schulenburg is famous for the painted churches located in the nearby towns of Praha, Ammannsville, Dubina, and High Hill. Schulenburg is located two miles east of the Navidad River at the intersection of IH-10 and U.S. 77, 51.5 miles southeast of Bastrop, 39 miles southeast of Smithville, 16.6 miles south of La Grange, 7 miles south of Swiss Alp, 55 miles southwest of Brenham, 35.5 miles southwest of Frelsburg via SH 71 and IH-10, 34 Miles southwest of Ellinger, 22 miles west of Columbus, 7.6 miles west of Weimar, 17 miles north of Hallettsville, 10 miles northeast of Moravia, 41 miles northeast of Gonzales, 31 miles northeast of Shiner, 12.6 miles east of Flatonia, 10.7 miles east of Praha, 4 miles southeast of High Hill, 7 miles southwest of Dubina, and 8 miles southwest of Ammannsville, Texas.
 
Schulenburg Texas Area Painted Church & Museum Tours:
You may tour the churches Mon-Sat, 9am-4pm. All four of the area churches conduct Sunday services. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these churches and of the area museums. A tour fee applies. (866) 504-5294. (979) 743-4514. 618 N. Main Street.  
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
 
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Built 1919, Painted 1919, Ammannsville, TX:
The original St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and school opened in 1890 with Father Jules Vrana as priest. It was destroyed by a hurricane in 1909 and was rebuilt. The rebuilt church was destroyed by fire in 1917. In 1919 the third wood church was designed and built by architect John F. Bujnoch in Gothic Revival style, and painted by painter Fred Donecker who also painted the Catholic Church in Moravia. Dielmann also designed the High Hill and Dubina Painted Churches. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Mass is held during odd months at 9:30am on Sundays. It is held on Sundays at 8am during even months. Confession is scheduled 30 minutes before each mass. The annual church picnic is held at the KJT Hall on Father’s Day. The church is located 4 miles east of U.S. 77 at 7745 Mensik Road (FM 1383), Ammannsville, Texas 78956. The mail address is Schulenburg, Texas 78945.
 
Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, Painted 1912, Dubina, TX:
The first church was built in 1876 on land donated by one of the original Dubina settlers, Joseph Peter. It was destroyed in the 1909 hurricane and rebuilt and the interior painted in 1912. The name of the painter is unknown. The new church was designed in gothic revival style by noted Texas architect Leo Dielmann who also designed the Fredericksburg and High Hill Painted Churches. This interior of this church is probably the most beautiful of all the Texas painted churches. The church holds Sunday Mass. It is located in Dubina on FM 1383, approximately 7 miles northeast of Schulenburg, 5 miles south of Ammannsville, and just west of Weimer.  
 
Nativity of Mary, Blessed Virgin Catholic Church, 1906, High Hill, TX:
This is one of the first churches designed by noted Texas architect Leo M.J. Dielmann who  also designed the Dubina and Fredericksburg painted churches. The gothic revival style brick church was built by Frank Bohlmann and painted by Hermann Kern and Ferdinand Stockert in 1912. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (979) 561-8455. This church is located at 2833 FM 2672, in High Hill, Texas 78956.Mass & Confession Schedule 
 
St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church, Fayette County:
The church was designed in gothic revival style by architect O. Kramer. Much of the interior was painted by Swiss born Gottfried Flury from Moulton, Texas. Later the interior was embellished by Father Netardus who became priest of the church in 1901. The church grounds include three small chapels, a cemetery, and a granite monument paying tribute to the town’s men killed in World War II. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 865-3560. The church is located at 821 FM 1295, approximately 3 miles southeast of Flatonia, Texas 78941. History & Photos