Contact
 
 
County
Victoria
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 62,592
2000 Census - 60,603
Nearby
Towns
Victoria, Texas
null
Victoria Texas History:
The town of Guadalupe Victoria was established in 1824 by Martin de Leon who received a Mexican land grant to bring 41 families to an area located on the Guadalupe River. The townsite was platted by Jose M. J. Carbajal. It immediately became a stock raising center, a shipping point for the port of Linnville, and an important stop on the La Bahía Road. Though primarily a Mexican settlement, Guadalupe Victoria contributed supplies, volunteers, and arms to the Texas cause against Mexican General Santa Anna. Because of its outstanding defensive position on the banks of the Guadalupe River, Sam Houston ordered James W. Fannin to retreat there from Goliad in 1836. After Fannin was defeated in March, 1836 in the Battle of Coleto, the town was occupied by the Mexican forces under the direction of Jose de Urrea until after the victory at the Battle of San Jacinto. After the Mexican forces left the town, the Anglos ostracized the Mexican residents who then fled the town. The Anglos renamed the town Victoria. The town incorporated under the Republic of Texas in 1839. Several citizens were killed in the 1840 Comanche raid that destroyed the town of Linnville. The Victoria post office was established in 1846. By 1850, Victoria’s location near the port at Indianola had sealed its importance as a trade center. The San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railway built a line to Victoria in 1861. The lines were destroyed during the Civil War and were rebuilt in 1866. In the 1880s the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway built a line to Victoria. A street car system operated in Victoria from 1888 to 1894. During World War II the Foster Army Field was established in Victoria; it operated until 1957 when it became the Victoria Regional Airport.   Victoria is home to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Victoria, and its’ Cathedral of Our Lady of Victory. Victoria is the third oldest town in Texas. Victoria is located at the intersections of U.S. 59, U.S. 77, and U.S. 87, 28 miles southeast of Cuero, 25 miles northwest of Port Lavaca, 33 miles northwest of Seadrift, 38.5 miles northwest of Austwell, 25 miles southwest of Edna, 26 miles northeast of Goliad, 46 miles northeast of Refugio, 92 miles slightly northeast of Corpus Christi, Texas.
 
Historic Downtown Victoria:
Houses dating back to the Civil War are located in town’s older sections. The Victoria Preservation organization hosts formal tours of these historic homes each year in April. Visitors may also go on guided or self-guided walking tours of the area throughout the year. Victoria Preservation also hosts annual October tours of the historic Catholic Cemetery during odd years and the historic Evergreen Cemetery during even years. Printed home tour guides are available from the Victoria Convention and Visitors Bureau, and from the Victoria Preservation Organization. Victoria Preservation is located at 3003 North Vine Street in the Hiller House Museum; (361) 571-0582. The VCVB is located at 3403 North Ben Wilson; (361) 573-5277. Email Victoria Preservation    
 
Port of Victoria:
This shallow draft port was formed in the 1960s by creating a 35 mile long barge canal on the Guadalupe River linking Victoria with the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. The port turning basin is served by rail and highways. 24 hour cargo operations are available. Amenities include 20 mooring sites, 17,000 square feet of shed space, over three acres of ground storage areas, a 7,300 square foot office building, an industrial park, barge repair facilities, and 24 hour lighting. (361) 570-8855. (888) 290-2952. 1934 FM 1432, 77905. Email  
 
Victoria County Courthouse, 1967:
The 2010 Victoria County census was 86,793. (361) 578-0752. This courthouse is located adjacent to the 1892 Courthouse at 115 N. Bridge Street. 
 
Victoria Courthouse, 1892:
This courthouse was designed in Romanesque style by famed architect J. Riely Gordon. It was constructed out of Texas granite and Indiana limestone. Interior access to this courthouse is via the 1967 courthouse. Texas Historical Markers commemorate the courthouse and Victor M. Rose. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a Texas Historical Landmark. Tours are available. The courthouse is located adjacent to the 1967 courthouse at 101 N. Bridge Street.
 
Victoria County Jail, 1940:
The jail was designed by Kai J. Leffland, and Atlee B. and Robert M. Ayres. (361) 574-8044. 101 North Glass Street. It is located behind the 1892 courthouse. 
 
Historic DeLeon Plaza & Bandstand:
Originally known as Constitution Square, the plaza features an 1885 (about) bandstand which originally stood near Constitution Street. It was moved to this site in 1923, and stands on the foundation of the city’s old standpipe, or water tower. The plaza is filled with local monuments, memorials and shade trees. De Leon Plaza is one of four public squares set aside by colony founder Martin de Leon. 101 N. Main Street.