Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 400
Rockne, Texas
Rockne Texas History & Information:
The town grew out of the Meuth community, established by Andrew Meuth in 1846 between the sites of String Prairie and present day Rockne. The original parish included the Meuth community, but when it was divided into two Catholic parishes, seven families began worship at the Rockne site. The first mass in Rockne was held in 1876 at Phillip and Catherine Goertz's home. In 1877, the Goertzes and Michael and Rebecca Wolf donated a site for the Ascension of Christ Church. After the first church burned in 1891, the church was rebuilt on a ten acre site donated by John T. and Rosina Lehman. The small community that grew up around the church was initially called Walnut Creek, then Lehman or Lehmanville. In 1900 the church opened St. Elizabeth's School opened. The church and school were later renamed Sacred Heart. The Lehman post office opened in 1900 and closed in 1903. The community was later renamed Hilbigville after a local businessman. When Notre Dame football coach Knute Rockne died in 1931, Rockne schoolchildren voted to rename the town Rockne. In the mid-1930s, the town’s economy was based on agriculture, cattle ranching and area oilfields. In 1940, the Sacred Heart Catholic Church was rebuilt on the same site. By 1950, the town’s population had grown to 400 residents where it remains today. In March, 1988, the town reopened its post office for one day and issued a Knute Rockne twenty-two-cent commemorative stamp. Rockne is located on FM 535, 13.7 miles southwest of Bastrop, several miles northeast of Rosanky, 13.4 miles northeast of McMahan, 4 miles northeast of Red Rock, 10 miles northwest of Rosanky, and 21 miles west of Smithville, Texas. More History & Photos  
Historic Town of Rockne, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Rockne began as a small farming community. Phillip Goertz (1825-1900), considered to be the first German Catholic settler of the area, arrived from Germany in 1856 and purchased land along Walnut Creek. He was soon joined by more German Catholic immigrants who established family farms. The first church built by the settlers, Ascension of Christ Church, was erected on Walnut Creek in 1876 but was destroyed by an arsonist's fire in 1891. A new structure was completed in 1892 and named Sacred Heart Church. Rockne has been known by several names. (The town was) first called Walnut Creek, because of its proximity to the stream, it was known as Lehmanville when the Lehman post office was established in 1900, and as Hilbigville after William Hilbig opened a store here. In 1931 the children of Sacred Heart School were given the opportunity to permanently name their town. A vote was taken, with the children electing to name the community Rockne in honor of Knute Rockne, the famous Notre Dame University football player and head coach who had died in a plane crash in 1931. Rockne continues to be a rural community, with Sacred Heart Catholic Church at its center.” 
Historic Samuel Wolfenberger (1804-1860):
“Early land grantee in this area. Of Dutch descent, he was born in Virginia, came to Texas (then part of Mexico) in 1831 as a colonist of Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas". (He) received a Spanish league of land (4,444 acres) here. Active in Texas Revolution, he took part in storming of Bexar in 1835; served with Robert Coleman's Rangers in 1836. (He) lived in Bastrop many years, joining effort to promote town as capital of the Republic in 1893. Was collector same year; alderman 1845-47. Married Caroline Fliesart; had 7 children.” The grave is located 1mile east of the marker.
Historic Sacred Heart Catholic Church:
The original church was established in 1877 as the Ascension of Christ Church. This church was destroyed by an arsonist in 1891. A second church was built and later renamed Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The present church was built in 1940. The Historical Marker is located in front of the church. (512) 321-7991. 4045 FM 535, Bastrop, Texas 78602
Rockne Historical Museum & Pioneer Park in Hilbig Park:
The museum building and visitor center features artifacts, archives and genealogy materials relating to the history of Rockne. The Pioneer Village features the 1860 Philip Goertz Dogtrot Cabin, a shed, the 1858 John T. Lehman Cabin, and old tools, plows and other farming equipment. The museum hosts school tours, summer classes and other programs, and is available for events. Open Sat, 10am-4pm, on special occasions and by special appointment. During the summer the museum is open daily, 12pm-4pm. This great museum complex is located just east of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church at 4065 FM 535 in Rockne. Email