Contact
 
 
County
Gonzales
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 549
2000 Census - 453
Nearby
Towns
Smiley, Texas
null
Smiley Texas History:
In the early 1870s, sheepherder John Smiley established a homesite on a long, narrow lake that became known as Smiley’s Lake. The lake became an important watering hole on the cattle trail to market. By the early 1880s, several businesses were located at the site including a cotton gin and a sawmill. The Smiley post office was established in 1884. By 1896 Smiley had a tannery, a wire fence company, several churches, two general stores, two grocery stores and several hundred residents. The arrival of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway a mile north of town in 1905 helped the Smiley’s growth, and caused the town to move closer to the depot; the railroad was discontinued in 1970. The town incorporated in 1911. Poultry is an important industry. Smiley is located at the intersection of U.S. 87 and FM 108, 27 miles northwest of Cuero, 49 miles east of Elmendorf, 8 miles east of Nixon, and 23 miles southwest of Gonzales, Texas.  
 
Historic Old Smiley Lake and Town site, Texas Historical Marker Text:
Attracted by abundant water from a natural lake, settlers began moving to this area in the late 1840s. Ranching provided the earliest commerce in addition to cattle and sheep ranches raised racing horses for sale in the southern states. Cattlemen brought their herds to the lake area until they were ready for transfer to Belmont (20 miles north) where a branch of the Chisholm cattle trail was located. George W. Coley, considered to be the founder of Smiley lake community moved here in 1873, near his home he built a steam-powered cotton gin and sawmill. He joined later by major A.M. Phillips who opened a mercantile establishment here in 1883, the Jim Smiley was located on the Cuero-Rancho Trace route between San Antonio and the Gulf port of Indianola. The village once had a saddle factory, blacksmith shop, wire fence plant newspaper general stores, post office established in 1884. When the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad completed lines nearby in 1906, the town of Smiley was moved to the present location (one mile north). 
 
Historic Smiley United Methodist Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
Methodists in the Smiley area gathered for informal worship services as early as 1879. In 1885 a congregation, originally known as the Bundick Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was organized with about six charter families. The Rev. W. H. Killough served as the church's first itinerate pastor. Later, Rancho circuit and other preachers held services at the Smiley Church once a month. The congregation first met in the Bundick schoolhouse, a two-story wooden structure also used for Lone Star Masonic Lodge meetings. Brush arbors were constructed toward the end of the 19th century for use during summer camp meetings. The Smiley community moved closer to the railroad after the tracks were laid in 1906, and the Methodist congregation built a one-room sanctuary in the new townsite in 1907. It served the fellowship until the current structure was completed and dedicated in 1948. Members of the Smiley United Methodist Church generally have come from farming and ranching families. Over the years they have provided significant service and leadership to the community and have continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of the founders. 
 
Historic First Baptist Church of Smiley, Texas Historical Marker Text:
George W. Cooley, who established a home, gin and grist mill on Smiley Lake (1mi.s) in 1879. Arranged for the Rev. John Stringer to hold the area's first formal Baptist meeting in 1880. People from throughout the area attended the 3-week brush arbor meeting during which 117 people were baptized in Smiley Lake. Smiley Lake Baptist Church, organized in 1882 with 34 charter members erected a sanctuary and organized a Sunday school. A new sanctuary was built in 1893 on two acres donated by F.P. and M.L. Coley. The congregation was renamed Smiley Baptist Church in 1894. In 1906 several church members established Calvary Baptist Church in the new railroad town of Smiley. In 1915 Smiley Baptist Church moved to a site in Smiley donated by Maggie Glover. The Smiley and Calvary Churches reunited as the First Baptist Church in 1916. In 1921 the congregation withdrew from the San Antonio Baptist Association and joined 12 other churches to form the Gambrell Baptist Association. Church membership grew and in 1949 a new church building was erected. A parsonage was built in 1962. The church continues to build on a tradition of Sunday school programs, women's group programs. Baptist instruction, and support of home and foreign missions. 
 
Stella Ellis Hart Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 8am-5pm; fri, 8am-noon. Closed for lunch, 11am-1pm. (830) 587-6101.  
 
American Legion Post 547, Wednesday Bingo:
The legion hosts bingo every Wednesday night at 7pm. (830) 582-1317. The post is located at 580 CR 483 (Old Gillette Road), 0.5 miles southwest of Nixon.
 
Annual Nixon-Smiley Wild Hog Cook-Off & Ranch Rodeo, 3rdWeekend in Oct:
Friday night activities include bull riding and live music. Cook-off entries include BBQ pork ribs, BBQ pork, Pork not barbequed, brisket, beans, salsa, margaritas and Dutch oven desserts. Other activities include a 5K hog run/walk, kids games, a carnival, a live auction, wild pig races, and a Ranch Rodeo. The rodeo is a South Texas Ranch Rodeo Finals qualifying event. The event is held at the Nixon-Smiley Show Barn and Arena on U.S. 87, just east of Nixon. Facebook