Sweeny Texas History:
In 1824, physician and business agent Imla Keep, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, arrived in Texas and received title to a league of land that included the townsite of Sweeny. When Keep returned to Louisiana, Martin Varner purchased the land. In 1931, William and Thomas Sweeny arrived to view the land grants they had purchased near Sweeny for the price of a load of mules. Their father, John Sweeny, arrived in 1933 and settled nearby where he built a house on the Imla Keep League that he purchased from Martin Varner. The Sweeny post office was established in 1897, closed in 1897, and reopened as Sweeny in 1909. The town was briefly known as Adamston when the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway built a line a sidetrack to Sweeny in 1905. In 1908 Sweeny had a cotton gin and a general school. A school was established in 1911. In 1910 the R. D. McDonald Bernard River Land Development Company purchased land in the area, subdivided it into lots and sold it. Land developer Burton D. Hurd platted the townsite in 1911. In 1914, the town had a hotel, a flour mill, three general stores, a cotton gin, a gristmill, sawmill, and 200 residents. By the 1920s, industries included cotton, vegetables, oranges, bricks, live oak parts for ships, and bullfrogs. The economy benefited from the discovery of the Old Ocean Oilfield in 1934. The Harrison-Abercrombie gasoline plant was built in 1938. The town incorporated in 1945. In the 1940s Phillips Petroleum transformed their carbon black plant into a refinery, a natural gas liquids center, and a petrochemicals complex. Today Conoco Philips (Old Ocean) and Chevron Phillips are major employers. Some residents commute to the Down Chemical facilities in Lake Jackson for work. The 2010 Sweeny census was 3,684.Sweeny is located just west of the San Bernard River at the intersection of FM 1459 and FM 524, 10 miles southwest of West Columbia, 23.5 miles southwest of Angleton, 11 miles west of Brazoria, 20 miles northeast of Bay City, 21 miles west of Lake Jackson, and 26 miles northwest of Freeport, Texas.
Historic Sweeny Plantation, 1837, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“After the Texas Revolution, John Sweeny was given this plantation by his father, an extensive landholder. In 1837, slaves built the house using only brick, nails and wood made on his land. Molasses, cotton, and sugar were produced.” The marker is located on SH 35, approximately 5 miles west of Old Ocean, and 3 miles north of Sweeny.
Historic Sweeny Cemetery, 1833, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The cemetery began as a family burial ground when John Sweeny, an early landowner and member of Stephen F. Austin’s Old 300 colony, chose this site for the burial of his young daughter, Freedonia, in 1833. It has been in use ever since by the neighborhood. It holds veterans of all wars since the Texas Revolution.” The cemetery is located north of Sweeny, adjacent to the flag pole on FM 524.
Historic Community of Old Ocean, Texas:
Old Ocean, Texas was originally named Chance’s Prairie after Joseph H. Polley and Samuel Chance’s July 27, 1824 land grant. William B. Sweeny, one of the founders of Chance’s Prairie and the namesake of Sweeny, Texas, purchased 2,319 acres from Polley and Chance. In 1880 the town had 80 residents. In 1934 James Abercrombie discovered oil nearby. The oilfield was called Old Ocean. In 1936 Chance’s Prairie was renamed Old Ocean. The Old Ocean Post Office was established in 1945. Today, Conoco Phillips and a gas station are located here, but not much else. The town is served by the Sweeny ISD> The town of Old Ocean is located on SH 35 and SH 524, approximately 5 miles northwest of Sweeny; drive out Main Street (SH 523). Map
Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site Information, West Columbia:
In 1902, Governor Hogg purchased land along Varner Creek from Martin Varner, a member of Stephen F. Austin’s Old Three Hundred colony who had established a sprawling plantation on the Brazos River in 1824. Though the Governor drilled several oil wells on the site, oil was not discovered on his property until 1920, 14 years after his death. In 1958, his daughter Ima Hogg donated 66 acres, including the two story Greek revival plantation house and the kitchen building, to the State of Texas. Guided tours of the 1835 house museum are available Tue-Sun, 9am, 10am, 11am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm, 2:30pm and 3:30pm. Reservations are not required for groups of less than 10 people. For larger groups, reservations must be made 2 weeks in advance. School tours are also available by reservation. The 1920s interpretive barn is open daily for self-guided tours. Come visit during the spring when the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes are in full bloom. The park has a 0.5-acre pond. Activities include birding, picnicking, and historical interpretation. Annual events include Juneteenth Reunions, the San Jacinto Festival, and a Christmas Celebration held on the first weekend in December; Christmas tours are held throughout December. This historic site is available for family reunions, weddings and other events. For more park information read the Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site Visitor Guide
. Varner-Hogg Plantation is located 2 miles north of West Columbia on FM 2852. Take FM 2852 to Park Road 51 (North 13th Street).
Fish Stocking History
Levi Jordan Plantation State Historic Site Information, Brazoria:
This plantation is significant to the antebellum period of Texas and the era of Reconstruction. In 1848, Levi Jordan purchased more than 2,200 acres in Brazoria County. He commissioned the construction of the family home, a brick sugar house, brick slave cabins, a large sugar mill, and other ancillary buildings utilizing slave labor. Site amenities include the two story Greek revival style plantation house and significant archeological remains, including the slave quarters that were subsequently occupied by freedmen until the 1880s. Following the civil war, sharecropping replaced slavery as a labor source, and cotton replaced sugar cane as the cash crop. A small cemetery is located onsite. This historic site closed for renovations in 2008. On the first Saturday of each month from 10am-2pm, THC staff members meet with visitors to discuss the development plans and host tours. Group tours are available by appointment. They also host other special events. Volunteer positions are available. For more information call the Levi Jordan Plantation site staff at (432) 693-6951, and the Texas Historical Commission at (512) 463-7948. The house is located 4 miles southwest of Brazoria on FM 521, just past the intersection of FM 521 and FM 524 (Four Corners).
Sweeny Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue & Thu, 10am-8pm; Wed & Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sundays and Mondays. (979) 548-2567. 205 W. Ashley Wilson Road. Email
Sweeny Senior Center:
201 North Oak Street. (979) 548-6454.
Sweeny Community Center:
The 4,000 square foot Sweeny Community Center can accommodate a maximum of 573 people. Amenities at this reservable facility include meeting rooms, a stage, restrooms, a kitchen, and tables and chairs. (979) 548-2661. (979) 548-3321. 205 W. Ashley Wilson Road.
VFW Post #8551 Tuesday & Saturday Night Bingo:
The doors open at 5pm; bingo starts at 7pm. Call to verify. (949) 345-4409. The VFW is located at the intersection of FM 1459 and SH 35 at 2000 FM 1459.
4 May 2018
Annual Sweeny Glow 5K Run Fun, May:
The race begins at 8pm and ends at the Sweeny Community Center, 205 West Ashley Wilson Road. (979) 548-3249.
May 4, 2017
Annual Sweeny Pride Day Festival & Parade, 1st Saturday in May:
The parade route begins at Gazebo Park and proceeds up Main Street to Ashley Wilson Road; it ends at Chick Anderson Park at the south end of Main Street (FM 524). Additional activities include live music and other entertainment, a street dance, a BBQ Cook-off, a washer tournament, a horseshoe tournament, a baby contest, a pet parade, boy scout booths, the Sweeny Garden Club Cake Auction, food and craft vendors, a carnival and other children’s activities. (979) 548-3249. This event is held in Backyard Park behind City Hall at 102 West Ashley Wilson Road.
Annual Sweeny Lions Club Car Show, Labor Day Weekend Saturday in Sept:
Activities include the car show, and food and arts & crafts booths. (979) 548-3249.
October 12-18, 2018
Annual Brazoria County Fair, Livestock Show & Rodeo in Angleton, October:
Activities include live entertainment, a carnival, a BBQ cook-off, a livestock show and rodeo, auctions, a parade, pageants, contests, a pet parade, tricycle races, a youth horseshow, commercial exhibits, live music, a science fair and more. (979) 849-6416. This event is held at the Brazoria County Fair Grounds. 901 S. Downing Street, Angleton, Texas.
2 December 2017
Annual Christmas in the Park Festival and Lighted Parade, 1stSaturday in Dec:
This event is hosted by the Sweeny Rotary Club from 3pm-8pm. Activities include a parade on Main Street, vendors and a visit by Santa. The parade entry fee is a non-perishable food donation. (979) 548-3249. The event is held at A. M. Chick Anderson Park at the south end of Main Street (FM 524).
Varner Creek Winery, Angleton:
The produce elderberry, jalapeno, loquat and other wines, including meads made from honey. They are new and did not have a tasting room in spring 2018. They do wine tastings by appointment. (979) 236-0659. 1014 North Velasco, Angleton, Texas.
Lue Ella’s Old Fashioned BBQ:
(979) 548-4113. 105 North Main Street. Reviews
C Chum Seafood:
Two reviews since September 2017. Both were good. (979) 548-4444. 506 North Main Street. Reviews
Most of the bad reviews were for very slow service. (979) 548-3767. 714 North Main Street. Reviews