Contact
 
 
County
McLennan
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,807
2000 Census - 2,692
Nearby
Towns
West, Texas
null
West Texas History:
In the 1840s, Carey Boulds and other Czech settlers began arriving near Bold Springs, a fresh water spring. They named their settlement Bould (or Bold) Springs. These farm and ranch families grew cotton, wheat and maize, and raised cattle. In 1852, a post office was established in Boulds’ cabin. The first town residents were the Walter Wyatt Bennett family who moved into cabin in 1856. In 1860, the community had 311 residents. In 1881, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad built a line through West. The present townsite was established in 1881 on land belonging to Thomas West. In 1882, the West post office was established with Thomas West as the postmaster. West opened a general store in 1883, established the West Hotel in 1889, and the West Bank in 1893. West incorporated in 1892. By 1900, the town had a private school named Allen’s Academy, several churches, a fire department, a newspaper, a cotton mill, several cotton gins, and approximately 2,000 residents. Czechs and Germans began settling in West by 1900. The town was largely supported by the cotton, grains and cattle industries. In 1913, West became a station on the Texas Electric Traction Railway between Dallas and Waco. By the 1920s, the Czechs were the dominant culture in West. Today the town is known for its Czech bakeries and meat markets. A Gazebo, a Texas Historical Marker, and a Veterans Memorial are located on the lawn of the West City Hall. The Czech Stop sells fabulous kolaches. Three murals depicting the West area Czech heritage adorn the retaining walls of the highway overpass at FM 2114 – From IH-35 take Exit #353. West is located a few miles east of the Brazos River at the intersection of IH-35/U.S. 77 and FM 2311, 15.6 miles slightly southeast of Hillsboro, 80 miles southwest of Dallas, 30 miles southwest of Dawson, 19 miles north of Waco, 45 miles southeast of Cleburne, 37.8 miles southeast of Meridian, and 22.8 miles southeast of Whitney, Texas.
 
April 17, 2013 City of West's West Fertilizer Company Explosion - Lest We Forget:
On April 17, 2013, a tragic explosion occurred at the West Fertilizer Company storage and distribution facility. 15 people were killed including ten volunteer firemen, more than 160 were injured. A 4 square block area was flattened, and over 150 buildings were damaged. Those who Lost Their Lives include West Volunteer Fire Department fireman Morris Bridges, Navarro Mills Volunteer Fire Department fireman Perry Calvin, Abbott Volunteer Fire Department fireman Jerry Chapman, West Volunteer Fire Department fireman Cody Dragoo, Dallas Fire Rescue responder 52 year old Kenny Harris, West business owner Jimmy Matus, Judith Monroe, West City Secretary and West Volunteer Fire Department fireman 29 year old Joe Pustejovsky, Abbott Volunteer Fire Department fireman Cyrus Reed, 59 year old Mariano C. Saldivar, West paramedic Kevin Sanders, West businessman and volunteer fire fighter William “Buck” Uptmor, Jr., age 45. Also tragically killed were brothers and lifelong best friends, and West Volunteer Fire Department firemen, Doug and Robert Snokhous
 
Crush, Texas, Town for a Day, Sept 15, 1896:
In 1896, William George Crush, general passenger agent of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (Katy Railroad), established a publicity stunt involving a demonstration of a train wreck. The temporary town of Crush, Texas where the crash occurred was located approximately 3 miles south of the town of West, Texas. Two wells were drilled at the town site and a grandstand and two Circus tents from Ringling Brothers were erected. A special track was built alongside the Katy track. Train engine #999 was painted bright green, and engine #1001 was painted bright red. For months prior to the event, the trains toured the state advertising the event. Spectators were offered reduced train fares to attend the event. Over 40,000 people showed, making Crush, Texas the 2nd largest city in Texas on that day. Unfortunately, 3 spectators were killed by flying debris, and several others were injured. A historical marker is located at the site commemorating the crash victims. 
 
West Train Depot Museum & West Visitor Center:
The museum is housed in the old Katy Depot. The Wall of Honor features over 1,000 photos of U.S. Veterans. Also on display is West’s original phone operator’s station, and exhibits depicting the influence the railroad had on West. (254) 826-3188.  08 N. Washington Street, West, Texas 76691.
 
History of West Museum:
Museum exhibits include a replica of the early pioneer town of West, farming and ranching implements, military and veterans exhibits, an ancestor’s gallery, the Czech Heritage gallery, the Urbanovsky Studio Gallery, articles and photographs from the “West News,” and the Memorial Gallery dedicated to the heroes of the April, 17, 2013 fertilizer plant explosion. Call to schedule group tours. Open Thu-Sat, 10am-4pm. (254) 826-4639. 112 East Oak Street.
 
Czechoslovakian Folk Dancers of West:
The Czechoslovakian Folk Dancers were organized in 1976 and present the colorful dances of the Bohemian, Moravian, and Slovakian settlers of Texas. The company has performed throughout Texas, and performs annually at the West Fest held on Labor Day.
 
City of West Public Library & Museum:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon, Tue, Thu, 3pm-7pm; Wed, 10am-3pm; Sat, 9am-Noon; closed Friday and Sunday. (254) 826-3070. 209 W. Tokio Road.